MCS Scheme Redevelopment...

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I take the feed from Installer Magazine and thought the good folks here might like to contribute to the MCS Scheme Redevelopment Consultation especially if you have issues in the way the current scheme operates. The deadline for responding to the consultation is 9.00am on 17 July 2023.
Having looked at the MCS redevelopment document I don't think it will change much going forward if the proposals are accepted and will only continue to place barriers in the way of the expansion of the renewables sector and the uptake of renewable energy options by end users. From what I can see they are proposing very minor changes to the current working practices while protecting their castle while offering the small installers or those wanting to add another complimentary skill to their existing portfolio

One thing I didn't realise until reading the document is that MCS rely on third party inspections of contractors by other scheme providers prior to entry to the MCS scheme so what is the point of the existance of MCS when other schemes are involved in the registration process

Going green is clearly going to continue being expensive in a cost concious world that is trying to look after every penny while getting the most out of what we spend and we are back to lining these schemes pockets when they provide little value to the end product and is something that needs to be addressed especially having seen some of the less than acceptable jobs installed by MCS approved companies

Last edited:
Having looked at the MCS redevelopment document I don't think it will change much going forward if the proposals are accepted and will only continue to place barriers in the way of the expansion of the renewables sector and the uptake of renewable energy options by end users. From what I can see they are proposing very minor changes to the current working practices while protecting their castle while offering the small installers or those wanting to add another complimentary skill to their existing portfolio

One thing I didn't realise until reading the document is that MCS rely on third party inspections of contractors by other scheme providers prior to entry to the MCS scheme so what is the point of the existance of MCS when other schemes are involved in the registration process

Going green is clearly going to continue being expensive in a cost concious world that is trying to look after every penny while getting the most out of what we spend and we are back to lining these schemes pockets when they provide little value to the end product and is something that needs to be addressed especially having seen some of the less than acceptable jobs installed by MCS approved companies
Inspection is by napit or nicey.

Picture below is my old MCS compliance documentation. Yep fully stacked ring binder. I thought I would post it so people could get a better idea of why I moan about the paperwork system so much, not that I don't like a good moan sometimes anyway 😀

Attachments

• IMG_20230629_155356.jpg
    IMG_20230629_155356.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Inspection is by napit or nicey.

Picture below is my old MCS compliance documentation. Yep fully stacked ring binder. I thought I would post it so people could get a better idea of why I moan about the paperwork system so much, not that I don't like a good moan sometimes anyway 😀
Looks like a decent bookend you now have there Binky :ROFLMAO:

I have decided to now avoid the MCS installers, £5-7k more on quotes from MCS registered installers. Who also ignores the specification I asked for and we’re all quoting for their own versions. The benefit is to sell back to the grid however that will be minimal for me so would take at least 10 years extra to pay back the cost of MCS installation.

The information within this forum has made me realise other options 👍🏼