Power smart device from light switch in bathroom

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willeth

Reaction score
Hi folks! Thought I'd scare you all with the title. Don't worry, I'm not going to attempt this myself, but I'm curious if there's a clever way to achieve this.

I currently have a Google Home Mini in a rechargeable battery base in my bathroom. It's not suitable to be on all the time, as I have the volume cranked to be able to hear it in the shower. It's a little inconvenient to switch it on and off, and I wondered if there was a way it could be hooked up to come on when I switch the lights on.

The lights are operated by a pull cord. The bathroom is directly under my loft, in case any installation outside the room would be useful. I do not believe my lighting circuit is earthed (or at least, no earth wire was apparent when I changed my switches and pendants when I moved in). The Home device runs on 5V, 1.8A and takes a micro USB plug.

It feels like there should be a way to do this, unorthodox but compliant, but I'm not a professional. Would it be possible to connect a USB socket to the lighting circuit and run the device from that? I've seen old style round-pin sockets on circuits before, could a socket for those be installed and a USB adapter from that be involved? If not is there something clever that could be done with a transistor on the lighting circuit acting as a switch? Can a power over USB cable run through the walls without issue?

If it's a complete non starter let me know, but if there's a way to approach it I'd love to know what I need to be asking for when I book someone in.

As long as there is a live and neutral at the switch. If you want it to turn on and off with the light come off the terminal marked L1 for the live.

If you want it powered on all the time come off the terminal marked com.

The lights are operated by a pull cord. The bathroom is directly under my loft, in case any installation outside the room would be useful. I do not believe my lighting circuit is earthed (or at least, no earth wire was apparent when I changed my switches and pendants when I moved in).
There's a good chance it's only the switch drops that don't have an earth, if you have a convienient pendant on the same lighting circuit, open it up and see if there's any earths in it.