Me again. Lol

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrjmegson

Reaction score
I've just put a multi meter on the ends of my solar cable to check to see if I missed any connections (too late now), and got some startling results that I don't understand.

Today is an incredibly grey, showery day (see pic), but a bright sky.

The results I got were 345V and 18.5A, which is above both specs. Should be 305V and 10.5A.

I thought the open circuit specs would still just be what was actually being produced, so on a day like this, next to nothing.

Be VERY careful doing this. 345V DC Is VERY DANGEROUS. A LOT more dangerous than 240V ac. At best it will hurt A LOT if you touch it, and could quite likely kill you.

Thanks, warning heeded. The wires are wired into a PV isolator, so I just touched the retaining screws, not the actual bare wires, so you have to poke the multimeter ends into a hole, so no chance of skin contact.

But my issue is that I can't believe those readings, so can anyone explain what is happening?

I've just put a multi meter on the ends of my solar cable to check to see if I missed any connections (too late now), and got some startling results that I don't understand.

Today is an incredibly grey, showery day (see pic), but a bright sky.

The results I got were 345V and 18.5A, which is above both specs. Should be 305V and 10.5A.

I thought the open circuit specs would still just be what was actually being produced, so on a day like this, next to nothing.
Youve measure the open circuit voltage i.e. not on load hence the higher voltage than expected. The 18.5 amps I assume youve done into a dead short hence the high current, not really a valid test.

Hi John,

Thanks for replying to my question. I did think it was due to open voltage, but I still thought that would give a low reading on an overcast day. Will it just give the maximum reading at all times, nothing to do with generation?

Hi John,

Thanks for replying to my question. I did think it was due to open voltage, but I still thought that would give a low reading on an overcast day. Will it just give the maximum reading at all times, nothing to do with generation?
It will translate to lower power when actually fired up. Voltage and amps will fall under the control the MPPT as it hunts for the maximum power point.

There are many countries and people far worse off than we are, and economies like Japan in deep trouble.
What gets to me are the people that say how bad things are in the UK, Brexiteer or Remainer doesn't matter, many say it's cr@p yet all of the migrants cross EU countries and risk a dangerous voyage to get to the UK, why is that if everywhere else is so much better?

Exactly.

I personally think we have so many opportunities, life is what you make of them.

And we (me and my Mrs) appreciate the simpler things in life, we aren't materialistic, don't need fancy cars or big houses, and aren't bothered about foreign holidays. We are happy with what we have.

I'll be even happier when my solar is up and running. Lol