Melted Fused Terminal Block In Hi Bay Fittings

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jono Pashley

Reaction score
Today i was on a job to relamp and investigate a fault on a set of hi bay lights. Having recified the fault i proceeded to relamp the rest of the units, a few came back on with a simple lamp change 6 however i found this occuring inside.

meltedfusedterminalblock.jpeg

Unfortunately before i could check a fitting connected straight through to check the ballasts were ok the scissor lift we had on hire ran out of juice having been sent to us partially charged(only got about 3 hours work out the damn thing). Im now i two minds weather to order gear trays and fused terminal blocks or just replace the blocks and see! Anyone come across fittings doing similar. All have gone in the same place they have 10A fuses in the carriers, all have melted either on the screw or where the terminals plug together.

Note: this picture is of one of the better ones.....

Last edited by a moderator:
What are the fittings?

Current draw per fitting?

These "sort" of fused terminal blocks are available in many places.

However, TBH, I would do a root cause fix rather than a sticking plaster one, but, will the client pay?

Fittings are 400W Metal Halide Hi-Bays. No disernable manufacters data to be found on them. Fittings wired to 15A round pin sockets fixed to the steels of the roof. Was about to investigate deeper when the scissor packed in. As far as im aware there is money in the job to replace the faulty fittings, my only concern is how many others where lamps havent failed but are suffering from this melting fuse carrier issue. Fittings were left for an extended period(many months) with failed lamps i doubt this did them much good. Installed around 2001.

No issues with the circuits voltage/zs etc all well in spec fittings also on different circuits.

I've had a similar fault with some cat2 lay in lights that I installed several years ago... After only a few months they started to fail.... In the end the manufacturers rep got them sorted at their cost (obviously)

Certainly seems likely from what the time scales among other things. Putting in to do the whole lot internally. Apparently these fittings were left during the previous relamp as "they couldnt work out what was wrong".....

i doubt that leaving it with a failed lamp would cause it either. too localized ro 1 specific point. looks more like a dodgy connection on the plug / socket part. maybe a dodgy batch of connector used by manufacturer?

I have had exactly the same problem on 400w Hi bays also. Some of the working ones  had previously repaired by others by removing the fuse and replacing with a connector . Luckily for me there was a Neweys on the same estate who had some fused connectors in stock. That was 2 years ago and i haven't been called back

How long are the lights on each day? 

12 years old, does much we fit last that long?