metal back boxes too deep in wall

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilman

Reaction score
Installed metal back boxes and cabling into walls of outhouse conversion - went back today and customer has increased depth of celotex on walls to 100mm (was 25mm)! All boarded and skimmed. I had to cut board to find outlets. Issue is - I can't bring back boxes forward as I can't get behind them. I could use long screws to fit socket fronts to existing back boxes and all will look fine, but this will leave an area behind each socket that is not enclosed within the back box. What are my options? Cheers all.

Replace the 25mm backboxes with 47mm ones?AndyGuinness
Still leaves a gap of about 50mm - also I can't feed the cables into replacement back boxes without destroying the new plastering.

If there is a solid surface to the cellotex can you fit a Fastafix box and ignore the KO box. ??

Or as Zeebrugge says use extension KO box doo-dahs .

I was caught out with that stuff , they have to fix it on outside walls on refurbs I believe.

drylining boxes?

not sure what celotex is, is it like kingspan, then boarded over?

or you could stop worrying too much and just use extension studs!
Wouldn't normally worry - NICEIC area engineer coming for a look though. Typical.

Wouldn't normally worry - NICEIC area engineer coming for a look though. Typical.
They used to love catching you out with boxes too far back .

One reckoned the cut edge of plasterboard within a KO box was a fire hazard . Insisted that boxes were brought level with front of the board .

Kingspan and celotex are not polystyrene. So don't worry. Extension boxes are best bet, or fast fix boxes. Biggest worry is cables still long enough!

Latest posts