metal back boxes too deep in wall

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One reckoned the cut edge of plasterboard within a KO box was a fire hazard . Insisted that boxes were brought level with front of the board .
NONSENSE

Plasterboard is classed as a non flammable surface. After all, a two layer plasterboard ceiling is classed as a fire wall.

Somebody just got out of bed the wrong side that morning.

A couple of examples of a gap being not acceptable are, if there is more than 1mm between the top of the finished plate or gaps big enough to insert anything in around, & against the finished wall. If the gap is in a hollow wall such as a stud or lathe & plaster. I also personally would not like any large gap when Cellotex, Kingspan or any insulation is there as i do not accept that could be classed as an enclosure. Brickwork, render, plasterboard etc i have no problems with.

A couple of examples of a gap being not acceptable are, if there is more than 1mm between the top of the finished plate or gaps big enough to insert anything in around, & against the finished wall. If the gap is in a hollow wall such as a stud or lathe & plaster. I also personally would not like any large gap when Cellotex, Kingspan or any insulation is there as i do not accept that could be classed as an enclosure. Brickwork, render, plasterboard etc i have no problems with.
is the stud wall not an enclosure?

you cant access it without tools.

is the stud wall not an enclosure?you cant access it without tools.
Not my view. One reason for an enclosure is is to contain a fire starting from a loose connection, An enclosure would at least keep the dust and muck off ( cos i doubt a choccy box would really do anything if there was 32A arching across a cable joint) . I once asked the lecturer why you cant put a sign on the front door of your house saying 'Danger live cables, 240 V isolate elsewhere' Then the whole house is the enclosure.

Whatever option you take don't forget to look at it first, then sigh, then point out customer has changed the plan and add a few 0's to the bill :)

NONSENSEPlasterboard is classed as a non flammable surface. After all, a two layer plasterboard ceiling is classed as a fire wall.

Somebody just got out of bed the wrong side that morning.
You may be right there, It was the same bloke who gave a non compliance for a slot in steel trunking without grommett strip , yet the grommet strip was right next to it , waiting to be fitted . " Yes I can see that but its not actually fitted is it "

Specs may know of him , it was in his NIC area.

When carrying out assessments, If the job in question has not been energised yet they can not make a record of the comment. This week we were commented on the lack of grommets on a board without the SWA feed connected. After my reply the assessor said 'just checking your response'

Latest posts