Metal clad distribution boards and TT

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unphased you will clearly see that I had no doubt has to who the comments were made. In fact your reply even re installed those comments.

Sidewinder is not trying to treat you like a kid, he has some very valid points and is trying to take you point by point, which inevitably will take you to that eureka moment where all will be explained.

Sorry to interrupt :) I'm going to say this quietly from the corner of the room as I'm a student and would also like to discuss one thing at a time as I get lost with the depths of people's knowledge. I thought insulation around a conductor is basic protection? Double insulation is used when no cpc is required and the symbol is a square with in a square?

This thread will be closed and infractions given out if it goes off track

Please behave gentlemen and remember this is a forum so it is very two dimensional and not the same as having a debate in the bar

Sorry to interrupt :) I'm going to say this quietly from the corner of the room as I'm a student and would also like to discuss one thing at a time as I get lost with the depths of people's knowledge. I thought insulation around a conductor is basic protection? Double insulation is used when no cpc is required and the symbol is a square with in a square?
I think double insulation in this thread has been mistaken for insulated and sheathed, they are not the same thing

10.38 pm and you have 2 moderators and an Admin responding to reported posts.

Unphased, Sidewinder is a respected member of this forum. 2400 likes receiveded. A very positive reputation. Even if you look at the number of posts he has contributed significantly to the forum. You are new (although seem to have registered a long time ago).

How about spending a little time reading some threads and getting the lie of the land. See how things go down here?

I will give you and infraction for your personal comments (assuming one of my colleagues already hasn't). If you carry on with this attitude you can go elsewhere.

Keep it nice or be gone. I havn't banned anyone for a while and I just love doing so.

Trust you understand?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes that is how I see it. My point was simply that PVC over PVC was double insulation. If there is a definition to disect that and make it a soemthing else then I am understanding that too. Thank you for your postjameseye that makes sense to me. But I was stating metalclad fusenboards are not precluded from TT installs as long as certain provisions are in place.. It is getiing late. I will bid you goodnight.

My point was simply that PVC over PVC was double insulation..
Although you have a point, this then gets confused with Double Insulated, which of course is a fixture or appliance that doesnt require a CPC

Thank you watchdog. I am extremely surprised by the activity I have just experienced. I am in no doubt sidewinder is a respected member . But if you read HOW he replied to me there is cause for my repsonse don't you think? Anyway, lets start over and I'll try again. No attitude. Apologies.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 22:49 ---------- Previous post was made at 22:46 ----------

Thank you jameseye. I understand the double insulation with regard to appliances. But was hoping to see specifically how a cable or wire can be double insulated and see why my PVC over PVC statement is not double insulation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you watchdog. I am extremely surprised by the activity I have just experienced. I am in no doubt sidewinder is a respected member . But if you read HOW he replied to me there is cause for my repsonse don't you think? Anyway, lets start over and I'll try again. No attitude. Apologies.---------- Post Auto-Merged at 22:49 ---------- Previous post was made at 22:46 ----------

Thank you jameseye. I understand the double insulation with regard to appliances. But was hoping to see specifically how a cable or wire can be double insulated and see why my PVC over PVC statement is not double insulation.
Because the other layer is not insulation, although made from an insulating material, its job is not to insulate the live conductor, but to protect it from mechanical damage

OK unphased we can debate the situation with regard to pvc/pvc as a start if you wish, I am about finished with my work tonight so I will be off shortly.

IF you are prepared to rewind to my post wrt to BS6004 then we can resume?

This is also reinforced by BS7671 Reg. No. 531.4.1.

Thanks for the link Admin 3. It is clear to me now that the terminology of double insulated cannot be applied to 6181Y and that it is insulated and sheathed. . I stand corrected. But it is all a matter of terminology. Know ing that has not made any particular difference to how I install the stuff. ;)

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 23:01 ---------- Previous post was made at 22:59 ----------

Okay sidewinder. An aplogy to you. I am sure we are both capable of a nice conversation. No hard feelings (I hope). Be nice! O) But not tonight, please . I'm off to bed.

You need a full understanding of everything that you install, its what sets you above the others, and why I like others use this forum to brainstorm and learn from one another.

unphased,

Apology accepted, we can continue a friendly debate over the next few days with regard to the other points I'm sure.

No hard feelings, no underlying attitude from me I promise.

Tomorrow, will be better as I am off to bed soon too., we can discuss and debate the other points that I we have brought up, one at a time please so that the learners can follow them!

It also gives me a chance to do some work in-between!

Good night, and all the best.

Right ok so can you correct me please If I'm wrong. Deep breath here goes lol double insulation is applied to appliances where cpc is not required? Insulation around a conductor is basic protection and the sheathing is purely for mechanical protection?

Thanks for the link Admin 3. It is clear to me now that the terminology of double insulated cannot be applied to 6181Y and that it is insulated and sheathed. . I stand corrected. But it is all a matter of terminology. Know ing that has not made any particular difference to how I install the stuff. ;) ---------- Post Auto-Merged at 23:01 ---------- Previous post was made at 22:59 ----------

Okay sidewinder. An aplogy to you. I am sure we are both capable of a nice conversation. No hard feelings (I hope). Be nice! O) But not tonight, please . I'm off to bed.
I have just scoobed you for your comments in this post, remember that every day is a learning day and however experienced we are we can all l;earn something new.

Right ok so can you correct me please If I'm wrong. Deep breath here goes lol double insulation is applied to appliances where cpc is not required? Insulation around a conductor is basic protection and the sheathing is purely for mechanical protection?
You have it exactly mate

gavin,

That is the gist of it.

Please also see the IET CoP for In Service Inspection & Testing of Electrical Equipment.

There are several product standards that you will probably have less chance of access to, and this is covered in BS7671, part 412 to some extent.

If you wish to get more detailed info, perhaps again it would be good to start another thread, then others can add info to explain the details of Double, or Reinforced insulation of equipment?

Again, Mods?

Latest posts