metal Cu earth straps

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
'SuperSparks' sounds like the in-house brand of 99p 13A sockets at B+M bargains...

Last edited by a moderator:
only surface backboxes I can think of are steel clad, and they normally have 2 fixed lugs.

Yeah, but for some reason I was always taught to earth the box on surface/metalclad. I know it makes no sense (in conjunction with not earthing single fixed lug flush boxes).

only surface backboxes I can think of are steel clad, and they normally have 2 fixed lugs.

at least I've never seen metal ones

So, which one is it then,? :C

Yeah, but for some reason I was always taught to earth the box on surface/metalclad. I know it makes no sense (in conjunction with not earthing single fixed lug flush boxes).
I think the reasoning is that if you did do something naughty and remove the cover live then the box is still earthed if the cable chaffed through and touched it. 

I think the reasoning is that if you did do something naughty and remove the cover live then the box is still earthed if the cable chaffed through and touched it. 

Yeah, I assumed that was the case (or at least I'm sure that was mentioned to me at one point during my apprenticeship) but that circles back round to the argument of 'it should be dead before opening it up'.

Yeah, I assumed that was the case (or at least I'm sure that was mentioned to me at one point during my apprenticeship) but that circles back round to the argument of 'it should be dead before opening it up'.
it should be, but how do you prove dead [an unswitched fused spur for instance] until it has been opened.?

assuming the reason you need to open it is to connect a load.

it should be, but how do you prove dead [an unswitched fused spur for instance] until it has been opened.?

assuming the reason you need to open it is to connect a load.

I didn't say it made sense, but the same applies to flush boxes as well.

But really it should be clear what devices are powered from which circuit so you should be pretty certain it is dead before you open it anyway (if everything is being done textbook).

So, which one is it then,? :C
both - you never know, there may be metal pattress boxes for some very expensive accessories like the double sockets I priced at £70 each. Just becuase I've never seen a metal pattress, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

makes sense but then I normally open the front without touching the backbox, and I'm fairly sure most other people do to???

Its a lot easier to accidentally touch a surface box, than one buried in a wall though, and the simply act of pulling the front plate forward could be enough to move the cables into contact with the (now unearthed) metal box/conduit etc.

so the only legit way of opening a metal clad is to turn the power off first. I shan't be in a rush to be doing that every time as I always hold the front plate and that is still earthed and to be frank cable damage is usually occurs as the cables are compressed into the box or by trapping a cable with the cover screws.

Latest posts