Metal Framed house rewire.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Yall and a happy new year,
Im currently working on my first ever Metal framed house rewire and necessary CU upgrade.
Wow, Lots of challenges and never seen before problems, so would welcome some guidance from anyone experienced in such an interesting and rare project as this for me.
A local spark has done an EICR but has postponed the job, for reasons unknown, but Im stepping in to help out short notice so any pointers would be welcome and Ill post my first fix findings.

Comments from your good selves, should aim to make a learning thread for all to see.

Cheers n stuff

Leigh

LBD Electrical

Hi Yall and a happy new year,
Im currently working on my first ever Metal framed house rewire and necessary CU upgrade.
Wow, Lots of challenges and never seen before problems, so would welcome some guidance from anyone experienced in such an interesting and rare project as this for me.
A local spark has done an EICR but has postponed the job, for reasons unknown, but Im stepping in to help out short notice so any pointers would be welcome and Ill post my first fix findings.

Comments from your good selves, should aim to make a learning thread for all to see.

Cheers n stuff

Leigh

LBD Electrical
Hi I have rewired several of these types of of house as there's an estate built in the late fifties near me , problems can be difficult to remove floor boards, but it's easy to rod through, remove 1 board through landing and small bedroom should be enough to get to all downstairs lights and all bedroom sockets , loft can be difficult to secure cabling .good luck

Hi I have rewired several of these types of of house as there's an estate built in the late fifties near me , problems can be difficult to remove floor boards, but it's easy to rod through, remove 1 board through landing and small bedroom should be enough to get to all downstairs lights and all bedroom sockets , loft can be difficult to secure cabling .good luck
Exactly, unless you have rewired a metal framed, 1950's house it is difficult to advise for sure.
Im just wanting any guidance as per common sense/regs and advice from anyone experienced in electrics, in such a property.
Cheers D
Might help if we knew what these challenges and problems were.
Not yet
ave as it seems Im currently working on such an estate.....

Is it a converted container?
Is it a converted container?
No, its as sparkydave describes and its a dormer semi.
Made a start yesterday and its definitley hard to get the boards up and small sections of plasterboard off in the kitchen as the screws seem to be 1/2 hammered into the metal. Bought some drilling self tappers for when they go back down.
Had to be careful when pulling fte wiring as sharp edges between the gaps in the metal joists.
Cant see any earthing at all on the framework but testing will show what needs to be done later. Might not need any....
Any good links to internet resources on metal framed house wiring would be welcome.

Cheers n stuff