Metallic cable supports

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NozSpark

Seaman stains™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK... so now that we're "with" the new regs I now have to install a lighting and socket circuit through a covered walkway (with doors at the ends).

No I guess that this walkway will be classed as a fire escape route,, so should my PVC conduit have metal saddles??? even for vertical drops???

Or could they be deemed to be self supporting.... forgot to say that there will be a plastered ceiling!

EDIT........DOMESTIC BTW....

Last edited by a moderator:
metallic support on any cables that could drop infront of the door and youre done. but if the wiring is above the ceiling then not required

for metallic support, i usually use a bit of round band

Well yes but aren't ceilings already fire resistant? So what's the need for metal clip? (Unless its surface mounted- maybe as so many council properties are being upgraded and this is done in plastic trunking this is why the LFB have got involved?)

I tend to consider the 'room' to not go beyond the ceiling, walls and floors. 

In other words, if the cables are within the ceiling they are not within the escape route. 

Principally the regulations were brought in because of the amount of surface mounted cables (in conduit and trunking) that presented problems once they had melted, especially in buildings were the ceilings were concrete, but not always.

Firstly we have to define an escape route, this is any route that offers a safe passage out of the building in the event of a fire. For most smaller buildings with low occupancy and easy evacuation these area's of safety only have to be fire 'proofed' to 30 minutes, high occupancy or restricted evacuation it has to be 60 minutes.

Now when the fire brigade attend, all persons should have been evacuated, and the primary task is to prevent further damage to the building and prevent the spread of fire. It is therefore reasonable to expect that the first fire fighters to enter the building could be an hour after the fire was first reported, by which time any 30 minute fire proofing will have failed. I have now adopted the view that any escape route deserves to be treated as a potential risk, and therefore use metal retaining clips. If in doubt just do it.

Maybe they should start selling these again.

buckle-clips.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: