Mixing Enclosure/Breakers??

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pluto

Reaction score
Hi all. I`m changing a breaker for a mate tomorrow after swapping his shower but when I went round to size up the job I noticed that he has Hager breakers sat in an MK enclosure? :|

The work was carried out by a reputable local Elec. firm last year so i`m taking it as being acceptable. For piece of mind however, can someone confirm this to be normal because I was told at college to only fit breakers in the same make of enclosure or is it a case of experience telling you what DIN rail and breakers are compatible?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

The new Contactum ( and a few cheap makes) do fit MK. There will always be an argument about mixing manufacturers parts. I recon most are made in the same factory and just different print is put on. I do not think there's anything wrong as long as they do all fit without stressing the parts due to misalignment of the breakers. Hager, Wylex, Volex, Ge, Mem are all compatible.

Ok Slipshod, i`ll have a closer look tomorrow out of curosity. thanks for the reply. Craig

breakers should be mixed, because boards are tested with the same make breakers. but as we all know, there basically the same. just slightly different measurements betweensome makes. and many makes are made in the same factory as others, just a different name stamped on them.

i dont really think there is much of a problem using other breakers providing you can get them to fit the bar properly

If anything where to go wrong manufacturer would say was because you used different make in that board. Although I would use a different make if I could not get one of the same make.

Batty

If it fits the rail, fit it.

If the copper busbar doesn't have the right offset, heat it up with a blowtorch till it glows and dunk it in water (to make the copper malleable). Dead easy to bend it afterwards.

J

If anything where to go wrong manufacturer would say was because you used different make in that board. Although I would use a different make if I could not get one of the same make.Batty
The only thing that could go wrong is the lid wont fit properly because a breaker is sitting too proud.

electrically they ALL must be BS60898 compatible! so no safety issues..

The only big problem IMHO is the CU bus-bar type of connection..

e.g. fork type bus-bar -vs- blade type bus-bar -vs- Starbreaker plug type bus-bar.

other than that its not rocket science to hold two MCB's side by side and compare physical dimensions & alignment of bus bar connections.

It may not look too neat....

but electricity will still travel around bends even if all the bends are not 100% parallel! ;)

and some MCB's are obsolete or near obsolete so a next best match has to be used if you are not to replace a whole CU say during an additional circuit. :)

The only thing that could go wrong is the lid wont fit properly because a breaker is sitting too proud.electrically they ALL must be BS60898 compatible! so no safety issues..

The only big problem IMHO is the CU bus-bar type of connection..

e.g. fork type bus-bar -vs- blade type bus-bar -vs- Starbreaker plug type bus-bar.

other than that its not rocket science to hold two MCB's side by side and compare physical dimensions & alignment of bus bar connections.

It may not look too neat....

but electricity will still travel around bends even if all the bends are not 100% parallel! ;)

and some MCB's are obsolete or near obsolete so a next best match has to be used if you are not to replace a whole CU say during an additional circuit. :)
Not being funny specs but how do you know they comply. There is no quality control on these breakers anymore. A while back I was paying

Havn't you quoted in that big red book of yours that things should be installed as per manufacturers instructions? If they say use the right breed and you knowingly go against this how do you stand?

your car insuance is invalid if you fit the wrong sized tyres to your car (without informing them)!

Haven't you quoted in that big red book of yours that things should be installed as per manufacturers instructions? If they say use the right breed and you knowingly go against this how do you stand?
What is going to go wrong????

If it doesn't operate to BS60898 chracteristcs.... the manufacture is at fault..

Are they not ALL the same width?

I personally cannot recall an instruction saying only fit "x" brand of MCB's

loads about ensuring all screws are tight..

and how to reset switches when they trip! :|

and for example Volex/Crabtree/Wylex are all part of Contactum group!

some of their literature inside the CU's is identical!!!! ?:|

What about putting an MK socket on an Appleby metal back box?

mixed manufactures???????? ]:)

your car insurance is invalid if you fit the wrong sized tyres to your car (without informing them)!
yes..

But a different make of tyre of the correct size is acceptable.

As is different make of wiper blades compared to the manufacture recommended initial fitted items.. ;)

Thanks all, for the many replies :D . Why the hell is there not an official standard that is used by all: Not just electrical characteristics but DIN Rail dimensions/physical breaker size etc that must be used by all manufacturers? At least the makers will get sales for other enclosures.. swings and roundabouts for em surely :|

Thanks all, for the many replies :D . Why the hell is there not an official standard that is used by all: Not just electrical characteristics but DIN Rail dimensions/physical breaker size etc that must be used by all manufacturers? At least the makers will get sales for other enclosures.. swings and roundabouts for em surely :|
Pluto

The worst one is the undercabinet lights. Tubes are different colours and all the leads have different ends so you can't just change one.

Batty

because they have BS60898 stamped on them!"specification for circuit breakers for overcurrent protection or household and similar installations."

the physical shape don't make a jot of difference..

as long as all of your electrical connections are secure!

what genuine problem can you tell me will happen? ?:|

other than if you leave a loose connection and something overheats...

you'll be telling me next you can't have an MK CU connected via Pirrelli cable to a Crabtree socket!

I think you will find all car manufactures tell you to only use genuine replacement parts for their vehicles as well.

but compatible items built to the same standards will still work ok!!!
Try and find this on a Hager devices, which means you have to assume they are when doing EIC or PIR X(

Latest posts