more about college :)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dairyspark

Reaction score
First week and a bit by at college and so far it's ok but boring sometimes lol lads are starting to get more talkative havin a good laugh lol so far we've covered 1 way loop in lighting system and a ohms law pretty easy stuff, and one or two of the lads have no clue about anything on of them even fell asleep in the class today lol. Over all not bad :) if I could post photos from my phone I would show you my wee 1 way installation lol.

ok BOB, one thing I will say,

ohms law , a really small basic thing, get it in your head, over and over again, it is the basis of EVERYTHING else you will learn,

I have had 3rd and 4th year apprentices that couldnt tell it to me,

I normally used it as a biter, would be doing something, say wiring a shower, then ask them, ok, so can we use a 6mm, how much current can it carry, how much do we need it to carry, we know its XXKW@230v, how many amps is that, fricking tosspots usually had to go and look in the books.! :shakehead I only wanted a ballpark work in your head without the decimal points, the point was, they didnt even know the basic principles.

ok BOB, one thing I will say,ohms law , a really small basic thing, get it in your head, over and over again, it is the basis of EVERYTHING else you will learn,

I have had 3rd and 4th year apprentices that couldnt tell it to me,

I normally used it as a biter, would be doing something, say wiring a shower, then ask them, ok, so can we use a 6mm, how much current can it carry, how much do we need it to carry, we know its XXKW@230v, how many amps is that, fricking tosspots usually had to go and look in the books.! :shakehead I only wanted a ballpark work in your head without the decimal points, the point was, they didnt even know the basic principles.
ohms Law is basic, and really easy to grasp once youve done it once or twice.

i.e I=V/R

I = current in Amperes

V = Voltage

R = Power in Watts

for example:

9.5kW shower @ 230v

9500w / 230v - 41.304a

by using ohms law to find out the current in amperes, you can then look at what size cable you will need.

so like steps said ohms law will be used as the base for everything you do.

and i wasnt trying to be smart, i was simply trying to show that using ohms law for the scenario he decribed should be easy enough to do off top of head!

so no riggy not trying to be smart in the slightest! and certainly not failing big time!

Is Ohm's law really about Amps, Volts and Watts?Jesus wept, two members trying to be smart and failing big time!
so Riggy, what do you use ohms law for in your day to day working life as the carpenters preferred electrician, ?

Dont be afraid to ask the tutor questions! I seem to remember first year was just about sorting out the wheat from the chaff, my class had halved by second year.

so Riggy, what do you use ohms law for in your day to day working life as the carpenters preferred electrician, ?
I use ohms Law on a daily basis to calculate Amps from Volts and ohms (I can also transpose the formula as necessary). I can also calculate Amps from Watts and Volts, that's not Ohm's Law.

You're gonna need to explain the carpenter reference mate, straight overt head I'm afraid.

and i wasnt trying to be smart, i was simply trying to show that using ohms law for the scenario he decribed should be easy enough to do off top of head!so no riggy not trying to be smart in the slightest! and certainly not failing big time!
Sorry if I've touched a nerve, but if you are going to describe how to use Ohm's Law, you have to get it right. You didn't I'm afraid.

I think you may find Christhe is right . I had to return to college for the 17th thing, last time I was in a class was the 1960s . They thought I was the lecturer!!! 20 started the course, 2 disapeared after first week, others turned up for the last 1/2 hour each week , some often left early .

Three passed the exam.

Riggy I wasn't trying to describe it I was simply Formulating steptoes scenario! Oh an take into consideration I am also a An apprentice spark! Obviously none of us are perfect like you!

I bow to your greatness!

Not!

Riggy I wasn't trying to describe it I was simply Formulating steptoes scenario! Oh an take into consideration I am also a An apprentice spark! Obviously none of us are perfect like you! I bow to your greatness!

Not!
I claim to be neither great nor perfect, I am perhaps the most fallible person I know.

I apologised to you earlier for touching a nerve, that apology stands.

You said that "R = power in Watts" in Ohm's Law. It simply doesn't.

I may not have been very diplomatic in my first attempt to point this out to you (for which I've now apologised twice), but the fact is that Ohm's Law is not negotiable by Apprentices or anyone else. If pointing out your errors incurs such wrath, then so be it.

I claim to be neither great nor perfect, I am perhaps the most fallible person I know.I apologised to you earlier for touching a nerve, that apology stands.

You said that "R = power in Watts" in Ohm's Law. It simply doesn't.

I may not have been very diplomatic in my first attempt to point this out to you (for which I've now apologised twice), but the fact is that Ohm's Law is not negotiable by Apprentices or anyone else. If pointing out your errors incurs such wrath, then so be it.
i do apologise i mis typed a letter! i was typing on my iphone at the time and i actually meant to put P = Power in Watts not R!

Ha that t shirt is ace, would it be classed as cheating wearing that during ur exams?

No ohms law is v=ir but as r = resistance, and resistance and power are related we can substitute r for p in this equation