More Ravenheat Woes

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

revjames

'funny' man™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sorry to be back on this and thanks in advance for helpful replies. Boiler is a Ravenheat CSI85 I recently fitted expansion vessel - a separate one. CH was working OK for a week or 2. Pressure was low so I needed to top it up, no water entering system, at least no increase on pressure gauge, Manually operated PRV and reading on gauge did not change. Replaced check valve and water IS now entering system via filling loop but reading on gauge static. - Unless it wont go above 1.5 bar because of EV - which is larger than the original?

Anyway the problem I now have is the red light (overheat/ flame failure) comes on after about 10 seconds and no sign of any sparks to ignite burner when heat is called for. Really getting peed off with this boiler now!

(later) after spending considerable time on this, I think there is a problem with the main board, there is a horrible arcing sound coming from the general area of the transformer. Board removed and will take to work tomorrow to check out. can get one off ebay for £50 but the boiler has been in nearly 10 years and I am wondering of I should replace it - budget is low so - assuming I cant fix it

A - get a good make 2nd hand one (2 year old worcester bosch - £300 ish)

B - get another cheap make but new one - Ravenheat approx £500

C- wear coats 

Thanks Noz, looking at it, 10 years old, no ignition, looks like main heat exchanger weeping, a few dodgy leaky pipes on it. If it was a car I would scrap it. Had a looka the main PCB today and it seems fine. No easy fix so might have to bite the bullet.

That would be for a boiler replacement,,, and for that I'd never entertain them..

The site I linked to is for their one off repairs which have a standard charge dependant on the model of boiler and its age

The problem with a new boiler is that the regs have changed and you would need a larger gas supply pipe to the boiler installed, the 15mm is no longer acceptable so it would need to be increased to 22/25mm pipe. Therefore the cost of replacement boiler is substantially increased dependant upon pipe route.

I already ran a 22 all the way through to the boiler when I fitted it 10 years ago so gas pipe not an issue. Looking at the boiler, its a state with many of the internal pipes leaking and the heat exchanger showing signs of leaking. With the fault with flame failure you have to consider its scrap.

Last edited by a moderator:
taken some advice from a local plumber where I work, worcester bosch seems the way to go. Decided on something like the 30CDi which is confusing because its now called the 30Si, and I have seen models called the 30i as well as 30 greenstar and a few other names..... He said dont go bigger than the 30 as even 22mm gas main (a fairly long run) could be insufficient for anything larger.

Considerable difference between the 30Si - £1200 with horizontal flue and timer, the 30i can be bought for £900 not sure what the difference is

I disconnected a working 5 year old Worcester greenstar 25si today in Forest Hill sarf London, nothing wrong with it. Customer wants a compact one to fit inside a kitchen cabinet. It will be skipped tomorrow. Shame you are in Anglesey your reverence.

Last edited by a moderator:
stick it on ebay - you seriously skipping it?
Can't be doing with ebay. It would be the customer's decision, but he can't be doing with ebay either. He has the rubbish people (and the plasterers) turning up tomorrow and it will just be in the way.

seen them going for £3-500 on ebay. I don't think I would buy 2nd hand, if you are going to all the trouble of installing a boiler you want it to go the distance and last a very long time. But, if there was a free one going, I would put it in.

Latest posts