More rolling stock has been added to the Gravy Train .

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm just trying to get my head around whether or not a, "false fallacy",  must be true.

Hum:

"Dilemma-based arguments are only fallacious when, in fact, there are more than the stated options.

The false dilemma fallacy is often a manipulative tool designed to polarize the audience, heroicizing one side and demonizing the other. It’s common in political discourse as a way of strong-arming the public into supporting controversial legislation or policies."

I'm still non the wiser, but this seems a good example of how much political positioning happens these days!

Have an approval/ID card that states your qualifications and what you can and can't work on/do with the qualifications you have. 
We used to have that  Bolty  as I'm sure you'd remember ...called a JIB card ....like a fool I thought that would be sufficient to cover the , then ,  new Part P   knee jerk creation , but it seems they count for nothing .  

We used to have that  Bolty  as I'm sure you'd remember ...called a JIB card ....like a fool I thought that would be sufficient to cover the , then ,  new Part P   knee jerk creation , but it seems they count for nothing .  

I never had one but do remember them and they were well promoted when I was learning, had a look at them recently, but like you say they seem worthless, certainly in the domestic market, you're lucky if a homeowner has heard of the NIC, let alone NAPIT and all the others and then down at the bottom of being known would be the JIB.

That would be the ideal though, scrap the scams (I know this realistically will never happen) and have the JIB card and a method of self notification via JIB for part P work. 

Somebody needs to take the regulation of the electrical industry by the kahooners and reform it. It's just a big money making mess at the moment, drives me mad, incase anybody hadn't noticed  :D  

you're lucky if a homeowner has heard of the NIC, let alone NAPIT and all the others and then down at the bottom of being known would be the JIB.

Around here a huge number of people are well aware of Part P , but ALL of the CPS's are pretty much unknown. So I changed from Elecsa to Stroma many years back just so I could easily do the notifications from my laptop and save a few pounds.

I've just renewed at £306 so that's less than 2 notifiable jobs if I had to pay LABC locally and I probably do about 20 jobs a year .......... I charge £10 per notification so its all simple and complies

Last edited by a moderator:
If at any point you could be considered to be giving professional advice you should have Professional Indemnity, this includes literally every time you design a circuit.

Around here a huge number of people are well aware of Part P , but ALL of the CPS's are pretty much unknown. So I changed from Elecsa to Stroma many years back just so I could easily do the notifications from my laptop and save a few pounds.

I've just renewed at £306 so that's less than 2 notifiable jobs if I had to pay LABC locally and I probably do about 20 jobs a year .......... I charge £10 per notification so its all simple and complies

That's cheap compared to the big boys. If I'm right I think Stroma is owned by one of them. 

That's cheap compared to the big boys. If I'm right I think Stroma is owned by one of them. 
The reality is that NICEIC and Elecsa are one organisation and Napit and Stroma are the other

quite why they continue to operate as 4 brands is beyond me , 2 would be enough and they could pass on the savings to their members ........