Most self employed sparks are good at it !!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good at what you may ask .

People skills I may answer.

Although some builders are carp at it . Working at someone's house, swearing loudly, pharting, belching , smoking, leering at passing females accompanied by predictable comments, treat the customer like someone who is in their way on their site.

And theres a difference between self employed and employed and the fact that some working guys just 'aint gotta clue TBH .

I quote a garage that is no longer near us , I did a few jobs for them , they were looking after my van .

Must admit they were a bunch of ignorant parts , four of them from 25 to 35 .

My missus was to take her car for MOT , says no way am I going there . And have you not noticed , 99% of customers are blokes , because :-

1. Its a woman , shes stupid!!

2. Loud shouting and swearing continues.

3. Radio at 10000 db s

4. Basically a "Macho" envoironment

5. Not customer friendly , other than mates of similar ilk.

Just had a similar experience going to two different timber suppliers , I'm boxing in some pipes . Attitude stinks TBH .

Get some 5.5mm ply an 8ft off cut about 2ft wide . Pay for it . "Can I get this ripped down to an 8" strip"

"Yeah they'll do that" Turns away.

Me. "Who will do that " ?

"Machinists, Pal " Starts to serve next customer .

I'm looking round ... " And they are....... ?"

He gives me a look that says , can't you see how busy I am. Then , " Out that door , over the car park ,through them gates , 2nd left"

Machinist didn't even speak to me, just took the ply ,cut it to size ,handed back, walked away to shout to his mate " Yow med the f*****g tay yet yer lazy b****** "

Charming , how to win friends and influence people !! Not.

Rant over

almost an opposite to this,

just after we got the house I needed some timber to do cross hatching on the trusses,

went to the local timber merchants, they had never met me(remember I'd just moved to England),

gave me a price per m for some 4X3/4 or whatever it is,

ok buddy, 'its down there, or if you give it 15mins some of the lads will help you get it',

"no worries, I'll sort it myself",

off I goes, gets a load on my roof rack of the little van, then one of the yardies starts to help, and with some good chat too!

loads up, pulls back up to the office,

'Oh, that your van then?' (its sign written with the firm I work for),

'yep', 'ah, trade, we can do it for you for

Builders merchants can be the worse a local one to me sometimes you go in there and they just stand there chatting not actually doing anything. I only go there as a last resort and then these people wonder why the business fails.

What I hate most is the local Jewsons where you stand there the only person in the shop and theres 4 people behind the counter and they all appear too busy to notice you let alone help. Oh and pet hate the assistant stops what he's doing to answer a long winded query on the phone when he's supposed to be serving me!

None of you should worry about these little ignorant twits. Its a power thing for them as they are all hen pecked at home, so their job at work gives them some sort of feeling of power and being in control!

They will probably retire and become one of those dear drivers who drives their car at 40miles an hour on the country lanes and then speed up too much on the fast bits so you cant overtake (unless your on a motorbike of course),

Builders merchants can be the worse a local one to me sometimes you go in there and they just stand there chatting not actually doing anything. I only go there as a last resort and then these people wonder why the business fails.
there's a builders merchants like that round my way, i avoid it like the plague, loads of them sat around chatting and take ages to serve you and ages to get your stuff, like you have all the time in the world like they do. and this one is particualy expensive.

a few years back i was in a plumbers merchant looking to get a pop up wast, but when i got in i could not remeber what i wanted, so i said i need erm, whats the thing,

salesman all coc*ky scoft and shouted to his mate do we sell a thingy.

i could not belive the coc*y tw*t it still makes me mad thinking about it, i felt like pulling him over the counter, perhapes i should have instead of bottling it all up probably too be relesed on some poor person in the futur.

Well, interesting to see that the carp attitude isn't just this area .

And yes, Builders and Plumber's merchants seem to be rife with poor attitude.

Have too say theres an electrical wholesaler by me with two of the most miserable buggers in the world on the counter. Not my usual one.

yep, I use TP a bit,

had a biggish kango on hire a couple of weeks ago,

broke the 3" chisel at the neck, told the guy when I brought it back,

"how much?" I asked,

"dont worry about it mate."

excellent, good guys and never have any hassle when I dont know what something is actually called here,

sometimes I get funny looks from folks for asking for stuff they have never heard of, then when I start to explain its, 'oh, you want a *******'

"yep, thats it,!" :)

in most TP, you can go straight to yard staff and ask them for what you want. they will give you a ticket to then take to counter to pay

its also useful having a TP opposite my unit....

and as for bad staff... local car parts dealer (CTS) has a long counter with about 8 computers/phones. phone orders always seem to take priority so you have to wait. annoys them a bit when i phone them and dont speak, then go to the bloke who's trying to talk to me....

Well thats another thing .......the phone rings and you get passed over for whoever s on the line.

The thing with that local garage , I always thought , was that they had lost half of their potentional customers as women drivers.

And what is TP I ask ? ( Trade Point ?) ahhhhh! Travis Perkins is it ?

Latest posts