Moving A Ceiling Light On Ceiling Help!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have done a basic 2 day training in domestic electrics
:slap

do you really think a 2 day course is going to teach you much about electrics when an apprenticeship takes 4 years? if you had done the 5 week course they may have even mentioned a bit about testing, although you still wouldnt have a clue, especially if the 'little box with test leads' doesnt give you the reading you were expecting

again, :slap

Why not be a little more constructive and tell me how you would have tested it. There was no one anywhere near the wiring.
well at risk of stating the obviously, like others have already done, i would use an RCD tester. do you see how that works? and what did you use to test continuity? nothing? or what about IR? or was that ignored too?

Andy Andy Andy I do appreciate where you are coming from believe me. You don't learn a thing in two days just a bit of common sense and even that didn't work! I don't need to do all those tests as the Sparky is coming on Monday.

Thanks everyone for your help and time.

So if the sparky is coming to test and sign it off why did you power it up in the first place? Surely to confirm an rcd you would look at the CU and circuit designation within the cu?

If I could offer some advice it would be either;

1) only run cables leave connecting up to sparky

2) leave your extent of lectrics to change a plug or lamp?

Sorry if that sounds harsh but you must realise that this is an open forum and whilst you may have been lucky the next person may not.

i wouldnt trust him to do either of those safely

Andy Andy Andy I do appreciate where you are coming from believe me. You don't learn a thing in two days just a bit of common sense and even that didn't work! I don't need to do all those tests as the Sparky is coming on Monday.

clearly you dont understand, or you would know your limits and not do something so stupid

With ameteurs like this doing our work no wonder there is so much sub standard installation work on refurbs these days.

Just saying

thing is, how many times has he tested an RCD by shorting the wires together?

and he obviously doesnt know what an RCD does or how it works since he even got that wrong

But the question is who is to blame?

Him for having a go at something with limited knowledge, I'm sure we've all been there and done that at some point or...

The alleged bodies for permitting the watering down of the trade? Water anything down and irrespective of how dangerous it may be or have been it will soon be perceived as easy and nothing to worry about???

Similarly it could be said that the constant changes with the regs and the big reliance upon RCDs is out of touch with reality in the sense that there are probably more installs without and rcd.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Don't take up the job of an electrician unless you understand electrics and find it interesting.  I'll wager I understood it more BEFORE I even started my apprenticeship than may so called electricians who show no understanding even after their short course.

I don't like the way the 5ww has now been replaced by the 7ww fully endorsed by the organisation fronted by a certain fony table.

Our government and industry representatives are too easily swayed by empty promises and buckets full of money.

I cannot understand how we have to everything by the books and yet DIY Dave can go get himself a consumer unit and just crack on With little knowledge or regard for what he is doing.

But the question is who is to blame?

Him for having a go at something with limited knowledge, I'm sure we've all been there and done that at some point or...

The alleged bodies for permitting the watering down of the trade? Water anything down and irrespective of how dangerous it may be or have been it will soon be perceived as easy and nothing to worry about???

Similarly it could be said that the constant changes with the regs and the big reliance upon RCDs is out of touch with reality in the sense that there are probably more installs without and rcd.
Who is to blame? Well in this situation the agreement between the builder and the spark that allows the builder to do work of a sparky. Simples.

So if the sparky is coming to test and sign it off why did you power it up in the first place? Surely to confirm an rcd you would look at the CU and circuit designation within the cu?

If I could offer some advice it would be either;

1) only run cables leave connecting up to sparky

Sorry if that sounds harsh but you must realise that this is an open forum and whilst you may have been lucky the next person may not.
Agreed Sharpend thanks for your feedback. I did not power it up but  the guy I am employing said he was experienced and now I know that that was not the case. I agree to this point. only run cables leave connecting up to sparky

i wouldnt trust him to do either of those safely

clearly you dont understand, or you would know your limits and not do something so stupid
Andy as you have 11k posts behind you I have not option but to respect everything you say.

Blue Duck thanks for your input but DIY Dave (me) did not change a consumer unit. I was trying to save the client money by making channels in the ceiling for the cable to reposition the lighting in three rooms. The sparky would either  hook them up or sign it off. Yesterday he said he wants to hook them up. As for testing the RCD without an RCD tester this was the stupid thing we did. 

Thanks everyone for your input. Hopefully next time I post here I will be just that much wiser.

no-one can sign off your work. closest you would get would be a 3 part EIC where you sign design & installation and A N other does the I&T and signs that part. but then how can you be competent to do the design / install and sign the EIC to say you have complied with 7671 when its obvious you dont understand it

basically, it comes down to you trying to skimp on paying to get the job done correctly and trying to do it yourself instead. if it was for your own personal use in your own house, then fair enough, but charging others for your incompetence is something completely different. wonder what your insurance would say if you did kill someone of the house fell down?

Okay Andy thanks for your input. One cable is in and visible the others aren't and so if the electrician wants to rewire or whatever he is on site tomorrow and will assess the situation. 

Andy - Can the work not be signed off under the 'Third Party Certification scheme' as mentioned in Approved Doc P of the building regs? Obviously the OP would have had to engage the Third party prior to commencing the work in order to do this.

Andy - Can the work not be signed off under the 'Third Party Certification scheme' as mentioned in Approved Doc P of the building regs? Obviously the OP would have had to engage the Third party prior to commencing the work in order to do this.
and if you read the thread instead of spamming the place, you would have noticed he has already bodged the job, so a bit late now...

Whoa, no need to bite my head off. Did read the thread, was just querying if this would have been an alternative solution from the beginning.