Moving to UK from USA

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unitedflyier

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I'm moving from the US to UK and want to keep my floor and table lamps. If I change the bulb to Philips Hue screw in 240v and change the plugs will they be OK? The standard US cord has +/- 2 prong not 3 with earth like UK.

How about a desk top PC?  I have Ryobi power tools which are cordless and I hoping I can just buy a UK charger for the batteries. I think the battery packs are the same.

I also have a large DVD collection US format. My lap top DVD player will play them but not sure about a UK player. I may just have to play them on the TV using Apple TV?

Thanks in advance.

your PC,

may be ok if it has dual voltage input switch on the back, if not, should just be a case of changing the PSU,

table lamp, not so sure about, will depend if it is double insulated or not, perhaps at worst it may simply need re-wired with a 3 core flex with an earth,

re-chargeable power tools, yep, they should be fine with a different charger, or, I actually have a US charger for some of my power tools that I changed the plug on and use via a site transformer, similar to one of these

As Steptoe has said,re your dvd's you can get a multi regional player which will play any dvd,you'll probably find one on Ebay or other online source rather than looking in a store for one.

Sorry, I completely missed the DVD bit, 

As above, a multi region player, which is probably the easiest method,

or, as an alternative, you could do one of 2 things,

Firstly, rip them to your PC and remove the region lock on them,

Then either,

Burn them back to DVD as region free, or put them on USB or external HDD, 

Yes as said above ,  if your desk lamps do not need an earth , and they probably don't if a 2 core flex ,  change the plug to a UK one , fit a 3 amp fuse in it & as you said , change lamps/bulbs for  230V ones . 

And as above with your DVDs  , USA is Region 1   ...Europe is Region 2 .

Careful with the PC , yours may be 110V only ...don't just change the plug .  I'm sure you'd get a power pack for it .

Remember though, when in the UK , your fanny is NOT your ass here .....its close but ....... 

I always thought that American lamps have imperial thread and we have metric? (so a new lamp will not fit)

Oh, and bring as much sunshine as you can fit in a box, when you get here open it up and let it out, we need sunshine.

OK thanks. I am a Brit. I moved t the US years ago and decided to come home. I just didn't want to throw all my belongings away and start again.