My small tribute to a student.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Voltimax

©CAHAGIYTYHE™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was shocked to read recently that a local man had been killed in Afghanistan recently. He was due to turn 21 before he was killed.

Ministry of Defence | Defence News | Military Operations | Privates Lewis Hendry and Conrad Lewis killed in Afghanistan

I know lots of young soldiers have and are getting killed in that country so why should this one be special to me?

It's not because he was local, it's because he was once my student and I helped him and his father in their study of Karate some years ago.

Lewis was only 9 years old when I was his instructor and was a very sharp student. I met his father in a building merchants just before Christmas and he was telling me with pride how proud of his son he was and that I wouldn't recognize him now and he could kick my rear end with ease.

He was right when I saw his picture just the other day in the paper, I didn't recognize him, until I read his name. I can't begin to even imagine how his father must be feeling right now, I really can't.

I still see and think of him as a young 9 year old Karate student and I'm proud to have had some small input into his far too short life.

Rest in peace young Lewis.

Your Sensei is very proud.

Oss

And how many more young men are going to die before we finally get out of there and other places that we should not be in.

RIP to them all that have died in the service of their country.

And how many more young men are going to die before we finally get out of there and other places that we should not be in.RIP to them all that have died in the service of their country.
I think your first comment is rather a sensitive subject and one best avoided. Totally agree with the last part.

I think its time Britain ceased to see itself as the world's policeman , our days of sending a gunboat up the river to frighten the natives are over. Time to take a back seat along with Switzerland, Scandinavia , Italy, France ,Portugal et,al.

I share your sorrow Volti , unfortunatly there will be more.

How many times must the canon balls fly , before they're forever banned, the answer my friend is blowing in the wind ...........

The answer is blowing in the wind.

My heart goes out to their families and freinds and These lads and lasses that are serving their country stay safe. They all make me proud to be a Brit..

no matter what your opinion on the subject is, these young lads/lasses/men and women signed up to do a job, and that is just what they have done,

Im sorry if I alienate anyone by saying they are not heroes, not by any stretch of the imagination, they are only doing what they are paid to do, a very very few are heroes, but the medals are given out so easily these days it is demeaning to the men who actually earn them.

I feel for any mother or father that loses a child, but such is life and the path they chose in it.

the only other point I would make is,

very very few of our soliders are actually fighting for our country, unlike WW I and WW II where men were actually fighting for their country, most soldiers nowadays are fighting for a paypacket,!

sorry if that upsets anyone, but I think that has been proven since the Falkands by the amount of chickens that have been allowed to abstain from actually fighting,. and it still happens.

no matter what your opinion on the subject is, these young lads/lasses/men and women signed up to do a job, and that is just what they have done,Im sorry if I alienate anyone by saying they are not heroes, not by any stretch of the imagination, they are only doing what they are paid to do, a very very few are heroes, but the medals are given out so easily these days it is demeaning to the men who actually earn them.

I feel for any mother or father that loses a child, but such is life and the path they chose in it.

the only other point I would make is,

very very few of our soliders are actually fighting for our country, unlike WW I and WW II where men were actually fighting for their country, most soldiers nowadays are fighting for a paypacket,!

sorry if that upsets anyone, but I think that has been proven since the Falkands by the amount of chickens that have been allowed to abstain from actually fighting,. and it still happens.
Sorry Albert, I must disagree with much of what you have written. I don't mind you writing it, that's your opinion and you are very much entitled to it, however.

As an ex service man I can tell you now most will not be doing it for the money. The money is good, on the most part. As you progress, rightly you are better rewarded but with that reward comes responsibility. In our line of work we are responsible for the state of our work and any one who may come in to contact with it, that is a big responsibility, the advantage we hold is that electricity is predictable. Yes it may do something unusual but never unheard of. We can always take the necessary precautions to safeguard the install. The trouble with an enemy is it will be unpredictable.

I had the good fortune to spend my entire career in the submarine service and as a result never actually saw my enemy. I heard him frequently but no windows, honest.

I once had a conversation with a Royal Marine of some standing. It was over a few beers so details are now sketchy but the gist of it was that I felt a little embarrassed at being awarded the two medals I received. These were the Queens Golden Jubilee Medal and the Long Service and Good Conduct Medal. They were not for efforts overthrowing a foreign military force or defending a small child in the face of enemy fire and I felt them to be simple decorations.

My booty friend reminded me that those medals were awarded to somebody who took the time and trouble to step up to the plate and hand his young life over the the country to do with as it felt appropriate. I know of very brave men who would cower at the thought of 3 months submerged in one stretch, men who would happily charge a gun emplacement all day long.

Please do not, misunderstand me, I am not brave, because I am trained.

These people fighting overseas are not brave, but they are heroes. Heroes because if they didn't step forward we could no longer have the argument about should we be there as we would have nobody to send.

I do however agree with your comment about people refusing to fight, if you sign on the dotted line, you forgo any rights to be an objector.

The armed forces are not a democracy because democracies cost lives.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gentlemen all views are normally excepted on this forum, a subject such as this is very emotional for each side the OP is paying tribute to a young man who, whatever job he did, has had his life taken as such a young age.

The politics of why, would better be discussed on a forum that deals with news items and political veiws. I would like to say that TEF should always remain nuetral on such sensitive matters.

I'm not having a bash at anyone now, but I didn't start this thread for debate.

With that in mind I would ask that this thread be closed please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts