Napit Assessment

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I've had my assessment today :)

this was confirmed a few weeks ago and I mentally checked that I had what they usually want to see

EWR
Part P printout
Qualifications
BS 7671 18th AMD + OSG
calibration cert
PI and PL insurance
Site ready to take assessor to
H&S policy
EIC samples
MWC samples

Then 2 days before the assessor asked me if I had AMD 2 guidance notes 3 (which I don't)

Then I looked at the email notification and realised that they had attached a document - because my email doesn't download automatically I hadn't realised it was there:)

So looking at the attachment there are 30 things that might be asked for - now I've not seen this listing before so for any of you with an assessment due - maybe look at this.

For the record I pointed out I didn't have it before the assessment and I'm not running out to buy it anytime soon

I'm not anti change but they really need to learn how to communicate in a more effective manner

Then 2 days before the assessor asked me if I had AMD 2 guidance notes 3 (which I don't)

Then I looked at the email notification and realised that they had attached a document - because my email doesn't download automatically I hadn't realised it was there:)

So looking at the attachment there are 30 things that might be asked for - now I've not seen this listing before so for any of you with an assessment due - maybe look at this.

I'm not anti change but they really need to learn how to communicate in a more effective manner

Perhaps consider sorting out / paying more attention to attached documents too? surely 'they' are communicating effectively ? If they write to you and you dont open / read the letter is that their fault?

Congratulations on your assessment, I'm sure you will have passed with flying colours.

Perhaps consider sorting out / paying more attention to attached documents too? surely 'they' are communicating effectively ? If they write to you and you dont open / read the letter is that their fault?

Congratulations on your assessment, I'm sure you will have passed with flying colours.

The reason I don't download their stuff automatically is because they hide read receipts in images - that is not on IMHO

The assessments have always requested the same things with Elecsa, Stroma and up to last year Napit - so they have moved the goal posts

The reason for the thread is to make other people aware :)

The reason I don't download their stuff automatically is because they hide read receipts in images - that is not on IMHO

The assessments have always requested the same things with Elecsa, Stroma and up to last year Napit - so they have moved the goal posts

The reason for the thread is to make other people aware :)
Why is it an issue that they see youve read it (if they really do but read receipts in there)?

Maybe they have moved the goalposts to keep you guys happy, keeping us old timers out LOL

I'm sure everyone affected will appreciate your early warning.

Well done that man!

Why is it an issue that they see youve read it (if they really do but read receipts in there)?

Maybe they have moved the goalposts to keep you guys happy, keeping us old timers out LOL

I'm sure everyone affected will appreciate your early warning.

Well done that man!
might not be an issue for napit / known senders as such, but having all emails automatically download images etc could lead to others knowing mail has been read, so spammers and the like know the email address is active as its downloaded the images etc.

might not be an issue for napit / known senders as such, but having all emails automatically download images etc could lead to others knowing mail has been read, so spammers and the like know the email address is active as its downloaded the images etc.
You dont need images to find a live email address, simply send a message to an address, if it gets bounced back with address not found you know it's a dead one if there isnt a bounce back then its a live one. The other way is to set a crawler / bot going to read websites collecting addresses. Downloading of images isnt an efficient way of collecting addresses.

I've never been asked for it but have said yes I have got it when asked as I have, and that's always been accepted.

Maybe it's my handsome trustworthy face ?????

Hmmmm maybe not !

As an additional point relating to this topic..

I just had my next assessment date email come through last week..

And I noted a comment down in all the guff, that I have never seen before, that read:
As detailed in appendix 3 of The Electrical Scheme Guide (available on our website), work your business has completed on your own premises is not acceptable for a surveillance assessment.

So you finally cannot use a few extra's in your own house... How many years behind the times is that guidance?

I've lost count of the number of people on here talking about adding a shed CU, with 2 sockets & a light for a Part-P assessment visit..
and thinking WTF!!!

o_O:censored::(

As an additional point relating to this topic..

I just had my next assessment date email come through last week..

And I noted a comment down in all the guff, that I have never seen before, that read:

So you finally cannot use a few extra's in your own house... How many years behind the times is that guidance?

I've lost count of the number of people on here talking about adding a shed CU, with 2 sockets & a light for a Part-P assessment visit..
and thinking WTF!!!

o_O:censored::(
I was led to believe it was only allowed as part of your first assessment to get you started.

I could be wrong as I used a Cu replacement in my own home as part of my initial assessment many moons ago.

I was led to believe it was only allowed as part of your first assessment to get you started.

I could be wrong as I used a Cu replacement in my own home as part of my initial assessment many moons ago.

Back when I was first assessed when Part-P was introduced, you had to have been trading for 2 years.... So all assessment jobs were real pukka customers..

I suspect the jobs at home went hand-in-hand with the tidal wave of 'short course electricians'??

Possibly. I'll ask my assessor on his next visit. Be good to maybe invited "higher up" guys from each scheme to this forum to be able to comment on stuff like this.

Possibly. I'll ask my assessor on his next visit. Be good to maybe invited "higher up" guys from each scheme to this forum to be able to comment on stuff like this.
Maybe

My main beef with the showing jobs with NAPIT is that they have to be completed jobs

Why can’t they allow wip jobs so the actual install cable runs are exposed etc?

Back in 2013 my assessment used the home we were refurbishing. I got the new cu on the wall and the upstairs socket circuit up and tested and running

But the assessor and I spent most of the time downstairs discussing runs, separation from other services, two way & intermediate switching etc etc

A far better involved assessment than checking I had a copy of part P, or the latest guidance notes

True. Mine has always checked whatever jobs I've been working on whether complete or still at 1st fix stage.

I'm guessing they get a feeling for who's work is going to be upto scratch after a few visits.

It does appear that it is alot of box ticking exercises rather than actual policing of quality of work.

I would be more than happy for them to phone me and say your due a visit I'm in the area can you let me know where so I can call. If you have nothing to hide then you would be happy to have them visit any of your jobs.

I think this years assessment spent more time on documentation than on the actual job …… I could have shown him any bodies work, and claimed it was mine