Need advice

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sellers

Reaction score
Hi there, My names Tom and I'm a fourth year aprentice. I started my 2330 apprenticeship in august 2004. I am now well into my 5th year for reasons unbeknown to me.

As a few of you may be aware the 2330 log book along with many is a little strangely worded and a fair few (most) of the other pupils at my college found it difficult to get right first time. Fortunatly a college course was especially put on in march last year (2008). Two Mondays in that month with the Regional JTL officer to help us complete. I already had a lot of it done already and was near enough perfect, so by the time the second monday of the month had come around, It was done and I handed it into my office that evening, which was agreed with the JTL officer.

Time passed and I had never heard anything from anyone about my log book, I just had pressumed it was being marked. I pestered my company to get my AM2 booked, which came around at the end of July, I passed that first time, and had my certificate within 2 weeks. I Immediatly rang my training officer with the news and asked when was my log book ready. He replied that he had to come visit me on site and take some photo's we arranged a day and he never showed up, I rang arranged another day but I had to cancel it. I rang up 3 or 4 times in the next 2 months and was just set aside with no date to meet up or sort things out. I was told excuses of lack of funding, on holiday even that i was a week late handing it in. I said I wanted to get it all sorted as I didn't want to be doing any rectification to the logbook at a late stage, he said the log book is perfect he just needs some spare time to take these pictures.

I was getting really annoyed about the whole situation, so I rang the regional officer to see if he could shed any light, to which he said he would look into it. That night I got a rude phone call from my training officer, and after 45mins, a date of christmas was set. Christmas came and he actually turned up I signed some more blank forms, and wrote comments in boxes which were wholey untrue. Such as, I was told to write 'i look forward to completing my logbook' in one. Then another I have no completed my logbook.

I foolishly agreed as just to finnish this whole mess and it was normal to sign and comment blank apprentice site visit forms. He left and said this would be put through and finnished of christmas.

And here I am today, after I rang up after leaving it 1month since xmas with no correspondance, I was told my log book now needed work, and someone may see me probably at the end of the month. Its now 11months since It was handed in, and I feel let down totally. Still with no end in sight.

Sorry its a long read.

Tom

FWIW, colleges are hopeless with logbooks. i had problems gettin mine signed off, but once that was done, the person who done the site vists was spot on, time arranged, he turns up, had quick look round, wrote report and off he went. i think you may just have someone who doesnt care. maybe complain and ask for someone else to take over?

for log books, many times i was told to change that to this etc, done that and it was still wrong. even more times the lecturer deleted and put his correct answer in... and sent it back as wrong!

you just gotta keep trying and complaining until they do something.

maybe complain that he is demanding signatures on an unfilled form what he then writes on later

but whatever you do, good luck. then after you finish that, itll probably take months for your employer to take you on as a sparky....

And welcome to the forum

Hello Tom, it does sound like you have had a bit of a rough ride. I can only wish you well in getting things sorted and say welcome to the forum.

Doc H.

I'm in the Northwest, Blackpool area.

My boss has finally got on the case now which is only a good thing, but again he could only get a vaige answer on dates and times, etc!!

Its starting to get at me as I'm desperatly wanting to do other qualifications which i need my 2330 for, as well as the extra money will help me get a better mortgage.