Network Cable Length?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1/ is there any merit in using something like a 0.75mm 7 core flex for the bulk of the run and splicing / soldering to cat cable for the start / finish f the run? I'm thinking more copper = lower resitance = better transmission speeds

Yes dc R is lower, but impedance and capacitance matched to the transmission frequency is blown out of the water/.

Remember a Cat5/6 cable is a balanced transmission line due to the frequency of data.

Yes dc R is lower, but impedance and capacitance matched to the transmission frequency is blown out of the water/.

Remember a Cat5/6 cable is a balanced transmission line due to the frequency of data.
Cat cables can be a s short as a few meters if hub is next to PC, so if you have a few meters of cat cable each end, then is what is inbetween relevent? I do also appreciate it is generally twisted to avoid emf issues rather than screened these days, which would suggest my idea wouldn't work as such...

There are two main standards for the colour sequencing

258A and 258b....may as well it simple! WTF not have just one??

Most common in UK is white orange on pin one, OW ON 2 , WG ON 3, GW on 6

If pin 1 is white orange at one end andWhite green at other end it is a crossover lead...( unless connected up by a Muppet!). only pins 1/2 are reversed with3/6. And NOT all 8'cores....this can lead to tears and a gnashing of teeth and sometimes is accompanied by "throwing things"

Just saying

ye, thew two systems are confusing,

I was always taught that A was American

and B was British, easy to remember,

and apparently the reason was most of the original systems in yankeeland were the A system so few installers were reluctant to change to the supposedly more efficient B system ,

us, being the UK, were, as always, behind the times and really only got going in a more public way by the time B was introduced so we simply used it.

Now it got puzzling here.  I couldn't find anything "wrong" except it said "no network connected".  Oh hang on it briefly said "network connected" then "not connected again". What's going on?

The longer I left it, the more it stayed on "network connected" until after 20 minutes or so it was connected all the time.

So I left it "working" but all a bit unsatisfactory.  I don't know if it's going to come back and bite me or just carry on now.  Does a network connection "learn" and adjust over time to a poor connection?
Sounds like a bit of an airlock to me.....

:D

Did you try bleeding it?

Okay I've done some digging around.

The standard quoted resistance is 0.188  :eek:hms per metre.  So my measured 13.9  :eek:hms  makes my actual cable length only 74 metres. A lot less than I paced it out at (I have short legs) and a 100M drum would have been enough

You keep telling me I ballsed it up. BUT I specifically bought copper, screened, outdoor cable, not the cheap £20 copper covered ali carp from the well known corner shop.

If it really is only 74 metres then it should have worked properly? which brings it back to the original question is a BT home hub carp at driving long cables, and would merely inserting a network switch at the source improve it?

Is that a kerching deal or is it for everyone.... In need of some external cat5e you see ;)
How much do you want?

The deal,was,a one off. Customer had rejected a pallet of it as some boxes were damaged....i could not see any damage at all!

They rang me, i had 6 boxes I think....went to collect and ALL others had gone to one person!

Okay I've done some digging around.

The standard quoted resistance is 0.188  :eek:hms per metre.  So my measured 13.9  :eek:hms  makes my actual cable length only 74 metres. A lot less than I paced it out at (I have short legs) and a 100M drum would have been enough

You keep telling me I ballsed it up. BUT I specifically bought copper, screened, outdoor cable, not the cheap £20 copper covered ali carp from the well known corner shop.

If it really is only 74 metres then it should have worked properly? which brings it back to the original question is a BT home hub carp at driving long cables, and would merely inserting a network switch at the source improve it?
TBH PD, that's not an accurate enough way of measuring it.

To get a length for such a cable you, really, need a TDR & the full cable spec from the manufacturer to enter into the TDR, that will then give you an accurate length.

The cable may have a lower dc resistance than the "standard" spec and still be "in spec".

dc resistance is pretty much irrelevant for a balanced transmission line.

Come on PD, you understand this stuff I'm sure.

How much do you want?

The deal,was,a one off. Customer had rejected a pallet of it as some boxes were damaged....i could not see any damage at all!

They rang me, i had 6 boxes I think....went to collect and ALL others had gone to one person!
I actually only need 20m, however I would have bought a 100m reel or a 305m box if necessary... It'd always come in useful ;)