network / firewall issue (maybe??)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kme

Fridge Keyholder™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, heres the scenario

I`ve got a wireless router in the office, supplying static IPs to the lappy (wireless), 2 PCs, network mono laser printer, and network colour print / scan / fax machine.

Tried to run a TCP/IP link between the main PC and the laptop (they can and DO talk to one another on the network.

The program (alright - game), informs you of your IP, which I know anyway.

The PC configs to host, and the laptop is given the IP of the hosting PC.

Comes back unable to find IP address!!!!

Both machines running windoze 7, both flagged network access requests from the program, and were granted permission.

I`ve tried setting up a VLAN on the router, but am a bit out of my depth at that point....don`t even know if that is necessary.

I can`t set up port forwarding, as I don`t know which ports are used.

HELP????

Thanks

KME

edit: ping results are ok (<2ms)

Shouldn't need port forwarding as long as your machines are on the same subnet.

Check your subnet mask, should be something like 255.255.255.0 or 255.255.0.0

I always use the former, and I also set my own IP address range in the private 10.69 ip pool.

What firewall are you using?

This could be the other problem the firewall may have blocked the ports, can you ping the machines from each other?

Firewall is windoze.

Ping is fine both directions.

I was more worried about the firewall in the router, blocking the info......

Subnet is default, 255.255.255.0 (I never alter it, cos I don`t know what it does )

10.69 pool? What????

Router firewall should not affect communications within your subnet.

Can you browse shared folders on the 2 m/c?

Can you browse to the computer names in windows explorer?

This does sound like a firewall problem.

Whats the Game, opps sorry application, that is needed for business use?

If we know that we can work out the ports.

Browsing folders, files between machines is a doddle - been set up for years.

All permissions are set - but from either machine, it can`t find the other IP

( just a thought, could be compatability issue - program was designed for earlier version of PrettyCrap software!)

You could scan the IP address range found using a free downloadhttp://www.radmin.com/products/utilities/ipscanner.php

Just remember to tick the box 'do not list dead IP's' it will list IP's that that PC can find
Thanks for that; however as already said, the machines can ping each other, and locate each other under windoze; they just have an issue with this particular (ahem) program.

I`m going to try putting both machines in `98 compatability mode, and see what happens.........

Watch this space.

Albert, mate:

Just because you`re always playing with things like that, doesn`t mean the rest of us are........... ;)

Its an old "Might & Magic" RPG; the problem is with the prog.s compatability with newer versions of windoze, and the different architechture involved. Problem isn`t solved, but it IS located. Thanks for the help, guys :) :)

Albert, mate:

Just because you`re always playing with things like that, doesn`t mean the rest of us are........... ;)

Its an old "Might & Magic" RPG; the problem is with the prog.s compatability with newer versions of windoze, and the different architechture involved. Problem isn`t solved, but it IS located. Thanks for the help, guys :) :)

Without a decent firewall business owners find that their network become increasing unstable as more and more viruses, Trojans, bots and other malicious pieces of software start to wreck havoc on the network. Owners also wonder why their bandwidth usage is so high little realizing that peer-to-peer applications allow users to both upload and share content even when no-one is actively using the computer.

Latest posts