New Build, Meter Company Removed My Kmf :-(

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisg1979

Reaction score
1st fixed a new build in November where the position of the c/u was a fair way from the incoming supply so I installed a KMF switch in the meter cupboard, with tails to connect into the meter when fitted, and a main earth into a MET.

Anyhow, checked it today as we start 2nd fix soon and the meter company have removed my KMF switch entirely and titled a wylex isolator which leaves no room for the switched fuse, and also whose responsibility is it to connect the MEB as neither DNO or meter company have connected the one I left in place.

Should I get on to the meter company re the KMF, and any ideas what's best to do regards the MEB?

well the meter cabinet is solely for their use, so the KMF shouldnt have been in there....

and its also your responsibility to connect all earthing. if TN, the earth block on the head is accessible by breaking the small break away bit over the screw terminals

Cheers Andy, but there is no break away bit over the terminals, it's one of the light grey plastic cut outs with no access as far as I can see to the terminals. It's a PME by the way.

Also there is no alternative location for the KMF, which is why I put it there!

there is usually a weak square in the cover over the neutral that is designed to be easily broken.

yes, not usually anywhere else so they get put in there, but it shouldnt have been there in the first place, so you cant really complain. if it was removed from site then thats theft, of course...

Sounds like Amelie needs to visit, then you can put right the earth connection and replace your KMF.

Did they leave it there, or did they walk off with it and force you to buy another one?

It always pays to try and be there when the DNO and the meter monkey come.

We don't generally have this trouble up here as SSE nearly always fit a meter with an inbuilt isolator, so only the input terminals of the meter are sealed, and the monkey doesn't connect the output at all, he leaves that for the electrician.

They can be funny up here also,,,, you should really aim to leave the meter cabinet for them, if you need to put something near then you could always install a second cabinet for your stuff

Sounds fair enough, I know the meter box is for their equptment, but figured it saved them an isolator and gave me a fuse to protect my tails (which of course they did leave on site, so no theft going on there).

The additional meter box is a good idea but not one which would have gone down well with this builder, we did try to talk him into having his supply brought in elsewhere but he wasn't having it!

As for the earth, I know the type of cut out you are talking about Andy, but this isn't one of those, the cover over the earth terminal is solid and cannot be accessed without removing the service fuse, just tried finding a photo of a similar one online but can't unfortunately!

ProDave - I like your thinking!

Who buys the meter cabinet?

Who installs the meter cabinet?

Who maintains the meter cabinet when the door gets broken?

Answer--- not the DNO/power companies.

Put what you like in them.

They can be a funny lot , Meter Monkeys  ,although as said , the cupboard is for their stuff only ,(  back to the days of E7 meters , 60A time switches etc)   

Often in this area they'll agree to the KMF fitted in the top right hand corner .

I would do two things ; -

Thing 1...... phone their office and ask why they havn't connected the main earth and left the installation in a dangerous condition . 

Thing 2  ....  when they've gone , change the switch back  to the KMF . 

Cheers chaps, looks like I'll be on the blower to em tomorrow then!

I do think dave2 has a good point tho, after all the meter cabinet isn't supplied fitted or maintained by them, so why should they be able to dictate what goes in it? Funny old world eh!

Thing 1...... phone their office and ask why they havn't connected the main earth and left the installation in a dangerous condition .
only dangerous if they connected the consumer tails and energised them

if there isnt any accessible earth terminals then it may be TT... best ask them. unless there is a sticker stating what it is?

I do think dave2 has a good point tho, after all the meter cabinet isn't supplied fitted or maintained by them, so why should they be able to dictate what goes in it? Funny old world eh!
because someone let the frogs get away with too much

if there isnt any accessible earth terminals then it may be TT... best ask them. unless there is a sticker stating what it is?
Good point.

If there's no sticker to tell you it's PME (or something else) then you will have to provide your own earth.

If there is a sticker, then see post #5

Under ESQCR, the DNO must provide their earth, unless they can provide good reason not to in writing.

That is the LAW.

Forget the meter monkeys they are just that.

IF, the meter monkeys have dabbled, then they are in the wrong, as they are not competent to make such decisions.

Jumped up little s**ts, that's what they are.

Common sense is not drilled into those tiny brains they have.

Like when they say the earth spike is too close to the supply and must be at least 10M away.

Definitely a PME, unless they've stickered it up wrong!

Probably best for me to sort it all myself and keep schtum!

You will find with the fuse out, the cover over the N/E comes off easilly :innocent

So I have been told.

Last edited by a moderator: