New DNO supply to existing building

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Fox

Reaction score
Hello all,

A friend of mine who lives out in the country has a car repair garage with his father. It was originally his fathers business and the garage is next to the house so when it was built an SWA was run from house to garage from house c/u. Since then my mate has built another garage next to the existing one and now also works there full time and the supply to this is run from the original garage. They are now also considering getting an MOT bay in another extension next door to the other 2 garages. This is all really going to be a bit much for the incoming supply. At the moment its not soo much of a problem as his father lives alone in the house so the house stuff is never used at the same time as the garage but to get a max demand for a PIR would be a problem now before the MOT bay so he asked me how much it would cost to get a new supply from the DNO for the garage, I don't have a clue but wondered if anyone has any kind of idea. The pole the house is fed from is right outside the garage so no digging or road closures etc.

Any ideas appreciated from anyone who has had any experience.

you would have to contact DNO - it may be a case of new supply from pole, and thats it, or it may require a bigger transformer, larger wiring between transformer & pole (if not local), so even a bigger suply on HV part to somewhere else. far too many variables

I just have a Quote from EDF for new 3 Phase off pole, existing overheads, for

I know that you'll be a different DNO, so there will be variations, but whilst I was looking for something else from YEDL this morning, I found a link to their document on connection charges.

I think that page 27 is possibly most relevant - "Three phase up to 60kVA underground connection, using up to 20 metres of cable, including cable joint hole and 3m of trench, cable joint, and termination equipment....