New Electric Socket (perhaps using existing cable)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaron Holt

Reaction score
Hi all,

I wonder if any of you would be kind enough to give me some advice?

Basically, I have completley re-done my home office. However it's something i should have really done before earlier, before carpeting and painting.

Anyway the office has one single plug socket near the door. I would like a double socket on the far side of the room.

I have three choices -

A ) attach a new socket to the existing ring circuit. I'm not 100% on doing the whole thing myself (im sure i could mount the socket into the wall etc though if it was to make things cheaper).

B) a year or so ago, i had a shower installed this involved running a cable up, through the office to the bathroom next to the room. However, a few months ago i got rid of the electric shower but the cable is still there. The cable would quite easily go under the woodboards and i could attach it to a new plug socket. Would this work? I mean the cable might be slighty different as it was for a shower (I recall a RCD it needed ?). Also the wire is probably a little thicker as it was for a shower (dunno if the thickness matters)

c ) just call a electrician out to get the whole thing sorted, although i expect it could get expensive.

I also use homeplugs in the office although i heard it should still work despite it being on a different ring, although not sure if the RCD thing would cause issues..

Any Advice please?

Welcome to the forum Aaron.

My advice would be to get an electrician in. Whereabouts in the UK are you?

We do have an Electrician Directory on this forum. :)

Regards,

Admin.

Thanks. It just seems relatively simple, it's not like im a complete novice to electronics which is why I wouldn't mind trying it for myself really. Plus the fact i save a packet :^O

But do you feel confident of performing all the inspection and testing needed to ensure its safe and ensuring the work is done to BS7671?

But have you called an electrician?

What makes you think it will coast a "packet" what to you define as a "packet"?

What are the walls made of? e.g timber and plasterboard or plaster straight onto brick? Makes a big difference how easy and quick the job is.

Must you have the cables burried? surface mounted in trunking might be okay in an office and will be cheaper.

There's the possibility of using the old shower cable. It's over rated for the job, but will be fine and that could be easilly made as a new radial circuit. But be certain you will never want to re connect an electric shower before using that.

Are there any other sockets backing onto where you want the new one, i.e the other side of the wall?

What I am trying to say is it might be a very simple, and therefore cheap job for a local electrician to do. So call one in to have a look.

Post your location as well, what might encourage a forum member near you to give you an estimate.

Latest posts