New light fitting - tripping rcd immediately

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Or there could be some more connections where the feed & switch cables join to the light cable..

with possibly a bit of loose terminal strip above the ceiling...

which you have disturbed by pulling the cable without much slack on it, causing a fault ?

It's the ones I posted earlier. See attached.
For clarity one side is the supply end, the other is the light fitting itself. They're designed to be screwed in separately and then the black connectors fit together with ease so you don't have to screw them in whilst holding the light up high...

We mean the actual light fitting that is on the other end of that white flex coming out of the black connector, to see exactly what the light fitting is made of and see if there is an obvious fault with it.

We mean the actual light fitting that is on the other end of that white flex coming out of the black connector, to see exactly what the light fitting is made of and see if there is an obvious fault with it.

That’s why I wanted to see photo of the new fitting 😉

Thanks all again for your responses.

I've connected the old light and it's working fine, so looks like I didn't go through a cable.

I'll post some pics of the light fitting itself as suggested, but there's not a great deal to see. It's all hidden behind some white flex.

Good chance there is a fault in there. Needs testing with an insulation tester. It looks like you may be able to unscrew the lower central cover, where all the wires will join up and look if you can see an issue such as a trapped or damaged wire. Otherwise take it back and get another one.

I just swapped it for a new one and it was fine first time. Problem solved.

Thanks to everyone who responded and helped me fine the resolution.

Locked to prevent being resurrected (again)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts