New telly advice .

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another thing that just struck me about new TVs  .  I  see Freeview is mentioned a lot  but not Freesat .     Our present LG  has built in Freesat  with a small dish on the back of the house .       I don't think I've seen that mentioned while browsing through all the makes etc . 

I thought most had Freesat HD built in now?

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/lg-43um7050plf-43-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-led-tv-10206392-pdt.html

Just had a look round Currys   & settled on a Sony  43"    .   None in stock but delivery in about a week .   

The size of some  Aunt Nellies in there ....Jeeezzz   .....  one there  for £7000 .  The size of your garage doors  . 

Both our main tv's have surround sound systems.  It is a very long time since any television has been made with anything resembling a half decent set of speakers built in.

I'm not so sure. A few years ago I would say a sound bar was at least highly desirable but recently, somehow, I've heard amazingly good sound can come from very small speakers.

I've just replaced the small TV in our conservatory with a 24inch LG and the sound from that is far better than its predecessor.

Do you think ??       We got the guy to put the sound on in the shop , didn't seem too bad  ,  although in a huge store its hard to tell .  
Ive just added a sound bar to our lounge Tv - sport, music and films sound far better from what we’ve noticed so far.

sure the Sony sound system is good but a flat screen tv will never have the range of sound you would like, obviously being a bit older it’s more difficult to tell, but our son says the difference is huge

Sounds  like the way to go  .   We have a surround sound system on the DVD player ,  we can put the TV sound through it  for concerts etc .   Unfortunately  the player chooses which DVD it feels like playing  ....a strange fault , had it adjusted 3 times ..... some  DVDs will always play  no problem ..... others will never play .    Have a box set of Inspector Morse  ,  not one will play .... stick it in the small tv in kitchen  , and they all play without a problem . 

Do folk play DVDs any more ?    

I'm tired, I've had a beer and I've just ordered one of these on impulse:

https://www.aldi.co.uk/medion-50”-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/p/707765411178000

Edit: Or maybe I haven't bought it...online transaction declined 4x now but as I don't get texts where I am I never received the banks 3 digit verification code. There ensued a row with the bank asking me for our "key phrase". Like I know, SWMBO handles the finances. I go to ask SWMBO "Oh no, I can't accept your answer if you ask your wife!" So what do I do short of changing banks said I.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds  like the way to go  .   We have a surround sound system on the DVD player ,  we can put the TV sound through it  for concerts etc .   Unfortunately  the player chooses which DVD it feels like playing  ....a strange fault , had it adjusted 3 times ..... some  DVDs will always play  no problem ..... others will never play .    Have a box set of Inspector Morse  ,  not one will play .... stick it in the small tv in kitchen  , and they all play without a problem . 

Do folk play DVDs any more ?    
Scan the web for a hack on your model of DVD player, you may find it requires a little nudge. 

Both our main tv's have surround sound systems.  It is a very long time since any television has been made with anything resembling a half decent set of speakers built in.
interestingly Dave we Changed out lounge stereo a coupe of years ago and purchased some new speakers ‘Keff’ which are superslim but the sound is pretty good and wide ranging although SWMBO insisted on a sepearate Bad ass bass box to match, for her Westlife albums?? 
Pink Floyd sounds much better on it though. 

good choice . We have 3 Sony’s and they are all good
Murdo  , this model is the Sony Bravia  ...so far so good ...... just been scanning the online manuals  which are informative  BUT cannot get an answer to the simplest question .

Can someone confirm that the Power button on the rear , which has the Power symbol  and  Plus & minus symbols   ...is actually the  OFF button  ?   The manual shows the Power button on the remote as  " Standby"      but it does not refer anywhere to the function of the rear button .

I would think 99%  that  does shut the set down but I wish it said  so  .......I don't like stuff left on standby .  

My neighbour's Sharp  TV  burst into flames one afternoon  , all on it's own , on standby ...could have burned his house down  had he not been in .