Newbuild 16mm T/E

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was taught to make a small 'spring' on earth cables when terminating. We were told its for anti-vibration of some pipework & also so theres a bit of slack. We used to wrap the cable round a screwdriver for a nice neat spring, thats just taking the p*ss.

Also as mentioned above only one RCD , tut tut.

9 new builds all the same on this little site....................must drop my card through doors as they become occupied.............half price EICR for the first person to move in :innocent

Seems to be a DNO/REC thing coiling the tails they usually to it when they connect our downleads in lamp coulmns in the areas that dont fit isolator units with tails. Make a right bloody mess of the twin and earth cable too ! Usually the sheathing stripped to top of column door then springy live and neutral tails into cutout with no sleeving on the cpc half arsed wrapped onto the column earth bolt before the cutout.

They aint meant to touch our downleads from the lanterns where meant to do a commision and test visit afterwards

They wouldn't get away with that in EDF/ UK power networks area they would not connect that up to the meter. What a disgrace that is the problem with SSE they leave it to the sparks to connect into the meter in fact they won't connect your tails its down to you to do it.

So, when the install was originally going to be TT - we have a few posters saying the 16mm T+E is fine.........

But the ONLY way it`s "fine" is with a 30mA RCD stuffed in front of it - at which point you haven`t complied with 7671 - having one RCD, out in the meter cupboard - missus will love that, on a dark cold night, with icy paths everywhere, when a lamp fails and takes the trip out :(

Not to mention the complete and absolute KAK of a job of terminating the T+E - dear, oh dear.

Got an existing, old cottage like this at the mo - TT, KMF in the meter cupboard, and dual RCD board 4 metres away inside. supply cable is 16mm T+E.

I`m not even sure SWA is acceptable there - unless its clipped on the surface - either that, or our old friend, mr trunking :)