No Refund For No Re-Assessment With Niceic Di Scheme

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Albert.

The primary reason we`re Nicey AC is the hotels - along with the huge PLI insurance; the hotel`s insurance AND their consultants will ONLY accept ACs on sites. 

Yes, we`ve had the arguments that they shouldn`t; but they do, and are entitled to do ( remember the pink overalls??)

We also do Aircon supplies for an AC company, who fit out everything for the justice dept. in Wales - they also ( client & contractor both) specify NIC red certs only.

No other reason - it is financial sense for the business. End of
so,

its like working for an agency then?

lots of multinationals only employ agency workers as short term labour, most SE folks only have short term contracts,

Im still wondering what the difference is,?

so,

giving a scam some of your money gets you work,

giving an agency some of your money gets you work,

seems the same thing to me   :C

Ah, I think I have it now,

The schemes don't give you any work, they take some of your earnings.

An agency gets you work, and doesn't take any of your money.

I know which one I prefer. 

We also do Aircon supplies for an AC company, who fit out everything for the justice dept. in Wales - they also ( client & contractor both) specify NIC red certs only.

The DoJ, cannot specify NICEIC AC, as they are a public body and that specification would be anti-competitive.

The DoJ can ONLY specify that you are competent and are assessed as competent by an independent body for the work you do.

The contractor can do what they like, as you say pink overalls with blue spots and all that.

Being a direct supplier to the DoJ in Wales also, along with the NHS, and Local Authorities remember.

Spot on sidey and the gov rules for procurement of materials, items and services has been tightened up..........all in the name of best practice.

Heres how daft it has got;

We need a certain bit of equipment (43k's worth) it is made by one company only and distributed by them, new rules its over 20k so has to go to tender for 3 quotes… so now the essential work gets held up while authorisation is gained from some manderin in an office in london.

Snakey:

Yes, mate I know you do, and I know they have.

BUT, the fact is that, according to the AC contractor; the DoJ IS specifying this, whether they`re supposed to or not is moot, as far as I`m concerned. 

Spot on sidey and the gov rules for procurement of materials, items and services has been tightened up..........all in the name of best practice.

Heres how daft it has got;

We need a certain bit of equipment (43k's worth) it is made by one company only and distributed by them, new rules its over 20k so has to go to tender for 3 quotes… so now the essential work gets held up while authorisation is gained from some manderin in an office in london.
Shame M107, I could probably quote you for that kit too, then you would have had 2 quotes, I think I know of another company that can supply it too! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Kme is right, however way you look at it, they will decided who they want to use, so in their heads if it has to be an AC contractor it will be, so all those tenders from those that are not will go in the bin, they are just told they were unsuccessful in their tender.

Architects often put on their specifications that the Electrical Contractor must NICEIC Approved or ECA, now if the builder uses someone who is not and nothing is said that's up to him, however if the builder or contractor mess's up then it could be just another nail in the coffin for both.

We have many customers who for one reason or another have only consulted us because we are AC, we joined 30 years ago just for that reason and I'm not complaining we have had a good run and still going strong.

It is only illegal for the Public Sector to specify an NICEIC, any other company, insurance company etc. can specify who they like.

For the public sector to specify an NICEIC AC is against the law due to Public Procurement Regulations.

The DoJ are a Public Sector organisation, thus, they cannot specify an NICEIC as they would be doing so illegally.