Oil Fired Boiler

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Power Ball

Reaction score
Looking for some advise on a job I am going to this week

The customer has had an old Oil fired boiler taken out of her kitchen and replaced it with a Worcester Camray External Oil fired boiler, the plumber has told me that the old boiler was on a Y Plan with a L-N-E to the boiler but this new one will need a L-N-E -Sw/L to the Camray boiler, Am I right in looking at the Y Plan I can pick up a sw/L from terminal 8. I have not wired one of these before so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also not looked at it yet but he has re routed the oil feed around the side of the building so if this is not already earthed should it be ??

The house is on PME

Thanks

Chas

I'm guessing that it's a combi boiler... in which case it will need a L, N, E & switched L demand from a room stat (room stat should be supplied from the same supply as the boiler)

regarding bonding. As the boiler is in an external cabinet then the oil supply never enters the equipotential zone, however the pipes from the boiler should be bonded where they enter the house as they are extraneous.

HTH

I'm guessing that it's a combi boiler... in which case it will need a L, N, E & switched L demand from a room stat (room stat should be supplied from the same supply as the boiler)regarding bonding. As the boiler is in an external cabinet then the oil supply never enters the equipotential zone, however the pipes from the boiler should be bonded where they enter the house as they are extraneous.

HTH
May not be last one I did was plastic and went to a plastic tank. Most oil pipes are in plastic sleeving these days also so cannot touch earth.

I'm guessing that it's a combi boiler... in which case it will need a L, N, E & switched L demand from a room stat (room stat should be supplied from the same supply as the boiler)regarding bonding. As the boiler is in an external cabinet then the oil supply never enters the equipotential zone, however the pipes from the boiler should be bonded where they enter the house as they are extraneous.

HTH
It is not a combi boiler as far as i know as the water tank, pump, tanks stat and two way valve are all in the same cupboard, if it was a combi boiler they would have removed the hot water tank and that is still been used to heat the hot water sometimes with an Immersion heater

Chas

pretty sure on this boiler because its an 'External' the L>N>E live gives a permanent supply to an inbuilt frost stat and the switched live fires the boiler on demand for the heating/hot water so make sure you wire correctly from the motorised valve that the switch does in fact fire boiler and pump.

The customer has had an old Oil fired boiler taken out of her kitchen and replaced it with a Worcester Camray External Oil fired boiler, the plumber has told me that the old boiler was on a Y Plan with a L-N-E to the boiler but this new one will need a L-N-E -Sw/L to the Camray boiler, Am I right in looking at the Y Plan I can pick up a sw/L from terminal 8. I have not wired one of these before so any help would be greatly appreciated.
The live you have there already is the switched live so you just need to get a permanent live from wherever you can fine one - fused spur, clock, junction box or anywhere on the heating control circuit really.

Also, you mention terminal 8, the plan may say terminal 8, but different plans use different numbering schemes and there isn;t really a standard colour code or terminal order in the junction box.

The live you have there already is the switched live so you just need to get a permanent live from wherever you can fine one - fused spur, clock, junction box or anywhere on the heating control circuit really.Also, you mention terminal 8, the plan may say terminal 8, but different plans use different numbering schemes and there isn;t really a standard colour code or terminal order in the junction box.
You were right mate the live I had was the switched live and got a permanant live from JB

Thanks

Job Done......

Chas

Latest posts