Old BT Testers

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m4tty

Scaredy cat™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Ive been given some old BT bits and bobs but just wondered if anyone knew if they can still be used for anything as technology has advanced so fast and I didnt get any instructions with these and cant find anything on the net so I thought i'd ask here.

Robin Tester SA9083 Mk18 (Analogue)

Oscillator No87f

Oscillator 87G

BT Amplifier 109J

Headset thing with phoneline adaptor

Pictures of the above are on this link http://www.telephonesuk.co.uk/tools_vehicles.htm

Any information appreciated

Cheers

The Robin tester is quite handy if you do a reasonable amount with phone lines, can;t remember what the ranges are on it but they're a decent machine regardless. I'd have one if someone gave me one, not sure I'd go out and buy one as I've got plenty of meters that do everything it does anyway.

The oscillators and amplifier, well they are for testing pairs in multicores. You attach the oscillator to a pair of cables and then at the midpoint or far end, or anywhere on it really, the amplifier will pick up the tone and identify the pair so you can cut the right pair or pick it out of hundreds in a large box. I'd be lost without one.

Headseat thing with phoneline adapter, could be anything.

Hi,

The SA9083 has been the standard telephone lineman's meter in the U.K. for many years. Although it's gone through slightly different guises with minor variations to the control layouts and style, the ranges and facilities are pretty much unchanged, since basic telephone line characteristics are still the same as they've been for many decades. I have several BT Mk. 13 and Mk. 15 meters which I use regularly. The Robin Mk. 18 is a current production model, different in overall style from the older models produced for BT/GPO Telephones, but still with the same facilities.

It's basically just a multimeter incorporating only those ranges most useful for general telephone line work, but with the addition of a few switching options which aren't found on general-purpose meters to make certain tests easier. On the 5 & 50V DC ranges you can press the button to apply a load for testing dry cells. On other DC ranges the button acts as a line-reversal switch, including on the resistance ranges where on the "Ohms x 100" setting you can use it for the traditional "kick" test (i.e. press the button to reverse the polarity of your meter's battery on the line and see how far the meter needle "kicks" on each reversal to get an idea of the capacitance on the line).

The "Battery B" position is basically just a 50V DC range, but with the meter reading between B(-) and E instead of between A(+) and B(-). Hold the line-reversing key in and you'll read between A(+) and E instead. It lets you clip onto the line and an earth and read the voltages on each side of the line separately by just using the reversing switch. Similarly, the "Earth B" position is just the ohms x 100 range but between B(-) and E. Hold the reversing key and you measure between A(+) and E.

The megohm range also operates the same way (i.e. B to E, or A to E with line reversing key operated), but uses an internal generator to produce about 100V for the insulation test.

On the test oscillators, I still have a couple of 20-year-old 87F's here, which are rather more versatile than the 87J which is the current general-purpose unit used by BT, as they have fully variable rate plus a continuous tone option, and the monitor output lets you hear rather more about the line the toner is connected to than the simple "short" LED on the 87J.

Hi There, My old Linesman tester's ( Tester SA-9083 ) Battery Radio "B" Battery 145 67.5v has run out of umph, Lasted since 1972 so not bad going really.

Question, what replacement can i put in,,,,,,,,,many thanks,,,,,,,,,, Oh, This is from NZ

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 14:50 ---------- Previous post was made at 12:55 ----------

Hi There 66, Not sure if ive spoken to you before ( I lost the link ) my old Tester SA 9085,,,,the Radio "B" Battery has finaly gone dead (Been good since 1972), it is the old 145 67.5v one,,,,,Any ideas on the replacement???? or any body out there,,,,,,,,It's our summer here in NZ

chooks, give it some time buddy, we are after all 11hrs behind you,

we do have quite a few guys on here may well be conversant with your kit, and spares.

BTW, whats work like there for sparks now?

Im looking at my EWRB right now, hoping to make the jump before the end of the year.

chooks, give it some time buddy, we are after all 11hrs behind you,we do have quite a few guys on here may well be conversant with your kit, and spares.

BTW, whats work like there for sparks now?

Im looking at my EWRB right now, hoping to make the jump before the end of the year.
Hi there Steptoe, Yep, i went to britain a couple of years ago to look at the place, took 24hrs to get their, must have gone the long way 'round.

There is miles of work In Godzone Country (NZ) We have a city called Christchurch, which has been rocked by a few earthquakes recently,, so they will have to rebuild a couple hundred Thousand Homes, miles of work for Sparkies, plumbers, brickies, painters, etc,etc, and if you can **** sheep, that's a bonus

Hi. Chooks, yep, Canterbury is where ive been looking at due to the rebuilding.

24hrs is about right depending where you fly via.

I spent some time in north island a few years ago, and am now trying to get my registration amd visas sorted. :)

Hi there do you still have the Bt oscillator 87g for sale, many thanks
I have one for sale

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 19:02 ---------- Previous post was made at 19:02 ----------

Hi I have one for sale

And the OP was posted in 2009, so I guess its all been sorted.

I like it when old threads get bumped, makes me look at all the old posts :)