Old time sparkie

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian Roberts

Reaction score
Passed C &G 236 parts 1 and 2 in 1989 but been out the game for over 20 years, but always done my own home electrics. My lastest home has gave me a bit of food for thought and would like some advice. Am having a concrete garage at bottom of garden, and in my home is a radial circuit feeding only 1 twin socket at ceiling level for a Tv in bedroom. On looking at wiring in loft it's fed from a 10mm T &E into a JB. From this T &E 2.5 into socket. I'm looking at extending this radial with 2.5 to a 20amp DP Switch, then out to a weatherproof socket on external wall. From this weatherproof socket I'm terminating 4mm SWA with external  glands to go to garage which will only be feeding 2 twin sockets and a 3 amp spur for 1 light. My question is is it acceptable to place a DP switch in radial AFTER the original socket in bedroom? Thanks for any advice on this? 

Is that 10mm  an redundant shower circuit  or is it still the shower supply ?   

You need to downrate the fuse on the 10mm to protect the 2.5mm .

I assume the 4mm is to cover volt drop. 

Can't see a problem with the DP isolator .....its good practice to be able to isolate outgoing subs like that . 

Stand by for the PME  earthing and  not being registered for domestic work .   

Think I would rather connect to the 10mm, but as long as you are derating the MCB to protect the cable, there is nothibg wrong with your plan as far as I can see.

Yes lads, looks like they've nicked the feed from old shower. Mcb type B 16 amp feeding  radial. And 4 mm is for volt drop and I was also given it! No extraneous metals as no services going in. Literally glorified shed with a couple of fluorescent/led lights and a couple of twin sockets. Sockets for chest freezer and under counter fridge, other one for strimmer, mower etc. Shower is now fed off gas boiler 

Well it sounds good to go .     You'll need an RCD  to cover the whole circuit as you have  ...I'm guessing ...cables  buried in walls , sockets ..sockets outside .  

You have a 16A breaker and I'd say the expected maximum load would be  almost zero  with the TV socket  using occasionally 1A   , the  garden socket  using zero  Amps  99% of the time   and the glorified shed  an occasional 3A  . 

given shed is for fridge / freezer I would be wanting to use RCD exetrnal socket, and non-rcd protected socket for fridge and freezer or separate RCBOs and socket for each appliance / socket in shed.Nothng worse than coming home from holiday to find defrosted freezer