Garage power wiring

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charliebrown

Reaction score
Garage feed refer image
A..POWER IN VIA BURRIED AMOURED CABLE 16 amp mcb at Bugalows CU
B & I Dp switched to enable separate isolation.
C D *E F H 13 amp sockets F for external security light.
H for two freezers
*E integral mcb with test button for occasional use of tablesaw
strip lights as plug ins.
Ok or any faults seen. And yes will get it tested.
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20230310_094446.jpg
    20230310_094446.jpg
    353.7 KB · Views: 2
The person that is testing it should be involved at this stage as there is a few things to take into consideration for example, length of run, route of run, protection rating (MCB size), earthing arrangements, RCD protection required?, protection of lighting and power circuits in garage, cable selection in garage.

Noting reference to a table saw I think you may find a 16amp supply a bit light. I have several larger power tools which trip a 16 amp rcbo on start-up. I think a more substantial feed and a small sub-board in the garage would be better. Also where is any rcd protection?

This looks like it will be new work, as such would require certification... (not just testing)..
BS7671 electrical certificates require declarations to be signed to confirm that the design, construction inspection and testing, are all compliant with current wiring regulations, (with any deviations noted).

So as mentioned earlier probably best to get in touch with whoever it is you are using to get it "tested" first to ensure they are happy with your design and proposed installation methods.

Depending upon where you are in the country this could also require building regulations Part-P compliance notification to be issued. This can also be discussed with your "testing electrician"..

Its a bit difficult to second guess all sorts of installation supply characteristics over the internet.. Some of which should be verified before undertaking any alterations temporary or permanent.. Things such as; Earthing arrangements, Main bonding, Condition of incoming supply, Max demand, Volt-drop, Earth loop impedance. etc..

Unclear as to what you are calling "integral mcb with test button for occasional use of tablesaw".... and/or how this "MCB" would provide any discrimination if the whole lot is supplied via a 16MCB from the main CU?

Personally I think its a poor design arrangement..
But if that's what you want and you can do it electrically safe and compliant with current BS7671, then best just contact your tester to see if they are also happy with your design,
and they are satisfied with all the other supply related supply arrangements?

This is in the DIY section so implies it is a personal install, with an electrician to test, better option would be to have an electrician to design, op install to design and electrician to test, this would give a functional and suitable installation for years to come.

Latest posts