Optimum Led Lamps For Domestic Use

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brummydave

Reaction score
I'm after the optimum LED lamps for a domestic situation. Not talking GU10/MR16 here, just the other sorts. Bayonet and Edison screw fitting, candles, golfballs, regular GLS sizes etc.

I'm a big fan of LED, but sourcing the right sort is giving me a headache! Excuse me for using 'bulb' instead of 'lamp' sometimes, it's what the customers call em! :)

I'm asking for Optimum rather than Best as I think the requirements of a domestic light bulb are very different to commercial ones. I don't need the longest lifespan or the greatest colour rendering/matching or the lumens per Watt.

However I do want:

a lifespan that gives good value for money.

Colours that keep customers happy - 'nicely warm' or 'brightly cold', not 'harsh'.

Instant light.

Dimmable options.

energy saving is a given, but better efficiency than compact fluorescent would be dandy. :)

I'm finding it hard to sell anything with a projected useable lifespan of much more than 10 years as the lighting options available then will be very different to now and the costs are seeming prohibitive. My domestic customers want to save energy but don't want an outlay over £15 a lamp. Maintenance costs don't come into it so 30000 hours plus is unnecessary.

I'm going to price up if I can Kosnic, Philips, Megaman, but please I'd like personal recommendations and options!

Thanks

Dave.

PS ok so a discussion on possible LED replacements for G9 and G4 would be nice too, but they're very rare at present!

You have to look at the lumens Brummy ,  to get an idea of how bright they will be .  Obviously the watts doesn't corelate with brightness anymore with LEDs.  

You'll get Kosnics @ £6.50 ish  to replace GU10s. 

I,ve found that Cool White are a bit stark for domestic and Warm White more acceptable.

I can't offer much more info other than I,m fitting a load of JCC LED 7 fittings ( lamp is integrel to the fitting ) 7 watt,  £26.00 ea  makers guarantee of 15 years as long as the customer registers them and they were fitted by a scam member.  

Thanks evans, at least you've replied!

Think I need to word request for information posts differently. I'm sure some of the readers on here will have retrofitted LED lamps!

Anyone got a recommendation for a LED lamp to replace 40W or 60W GLS/Golfball/candle? THat's about 200-300 lumens I think.

I do like those JCC LED fittings - good to hear you're using them as well - but i'm not fitting downlights. I want to retrofit just lamps into 'normal' luminaires. (I have done a load of GU10 in the past and wholesalers haven't had kosnic in, only megaman, ge, saxby, lumineux and aurora so will ask for them next time - thanks!.)

For luminous, 1W LED equal to 8 W incandescent bulb, 5W halogen spot lamp,

Hope this information will help you when you are choosing the LED lamps for retrofit. 

By the way, LED lamps can not work for 10 years, the lifespan is about 30,000 to 3,500 hours

And the LED dimmabler tech it's not stable yet, except some big brand, such as Philips.