Ouch. My knee.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to think padded-knee work trousers were just extravagant. I learned my lesson and won't work without knee pads ever again.Last week (Monday): Sinking sockets into a wall, kneeling on floorboards dusted with rubble. Wearing normal work/cargo trousers with no knee pads. Made my knees hurt a bit, but I decided I aint no whoos and i carried on.

Tuesday: Right knee was aching, so i had paracetamol and thought nothing more.

Wednesday: I was in agony. The pain woke me up. The front of my knee was red and bulging a bit. Got a GP's appointment. GP said i had an infection which must have got into my knee when I was kneeling. Sent me for Xrays and put me on antibiotics and anti-inflammatory tablets.

Thursday: My leg from my knee right down to my foot had ballooned and was very red. Went to A&E. While I waited in A&E for 3 hours I saw the redness travel up my leg by another 2 inches.

Had to stay in hospital on an intravenous antibiotic cocktail until Saturday and the swelling and redness had pretty much gone.

It's now Friday of the following week. And my knee is still somewhat inflamed and sore. It'll probably be another week before I can work again. I ain't complaining, things could've been far more catastrophic.

Two lesson learned. Use knee pads all the while. Appreciate the NHS, despite its problems.
Exactly the same as my brother-in-law, he ended up on cruthches for 6 weeks & the infection bulged & burst from his knee & boy did it smell.

He now has badly scarred knees.

I use the snickers trousers & pads & have even started using dust masks in loft spaces.. the local SF had 3M ones on offer 5 masks for

I do have a dust mask, but it steams my glasses up...

got to ind one that doesn't and then I'll probably use it!

At the moment I've had a skin infection on my ankle which has turned into an ulcer.. doc says that I may have to take some time off work for it to heal:( work is bad enough as it is without having to take time off so that won't be happening.

Noz, I have the same problem with steaming up glasses , have to wear them for close up work, and yes , paper masks steam up so I had to buy the one with breathing filters on each side ,does the trick .

I wear Snickers trousers and don't know how you can possibly have the kneepads in the wrong place. They do the trousers in different leg sizes and even for short arses like me! Best thing i ever got and well worth the money. They are expensive but for something i wear 6 days a week for 10 hrs a day it's worth spending on.

RE masks. I wear a one with the replaceable filters. Every time i chase a wall or get in a loft i put it on.

but merc i suspect the guys complaining about the knee position have the trouser length so you don't look like you geeky high school head master!

ankle bashers i think is the current term for wearing trousers in an unfashionly style. i.e so they fit :^O

I cant use knee pads of any sorts

i hate anything rubbing around my knees

in the van i have thick foam 3inch deep which i use if i need to kneel down

I cant use knee pads of any sortsi hate anything rubbing around my knees

in the van i have thick foam 3inch deep which i use if i need to kneel down
Me too its just a case of remembering to use it.

I do have a dust mask, but it steams my glasses up...got to ind one that doesn't and then I'll probably use it!

At the moment I've had a skin infection on my ankle which has turned into an ulcer.. doc says that I may have to take some time off work for it to heal:( work is bad enough as it is without having to take time off so that won't be happening.
Noz, I have the same problem with steaming up glasses , have to wear them for close up work, and yes , paper masks steam up so I had to buy the one with breathing filters on each side ,does the trick .
I thought that I'd have to get filtered ones!I can't do anything without my specs, anything over 12" away is blurred
guys, get down your local motorbike shop and buy some "Bob Heath"

its used for cleaning visors, about

Not many GLASS lenses around these days Steps,all plastic I believe, and you wouldn't wan't 'em in our trade methinks . Load of broken glass in yer eye ,no thanks.

Steps, that diet seems to be working , and the new tall hat suits you a treat. :)

Hope you are getting better but sorry to say you are about to get lesson 3.........RIDDOR.............will be you in trouble. :eek:
I'm self employed, scepticlecky. Can do without extra paperwork and hassle - thinkng about it, it must have happened when I was kneeling down at home trying to set the video....honest officer, lol.

guys, get down your local motorbike shop and buy some "Bob Heath" for cleaning visors, about

I'm self employed, scepticlecky. Can do without extra paperwork and hassle - thinkng about it, it must have happened when I was kneeling down at home trying to set the video....honest officer, lol.A next best alternative to aerosol anti fog spray for visors: A thin smear of neat washing up liquid applied with a fingertip to the inside of visors works amazingly well - lasts most of the day too. Used to do this when biking - it was a tip from our seasoned riding instructor. Found it works very well for the safety specs & dustmask combo too.

Wow, I was on crutches for a few days. Sounds like I was lucky.
goes like a rainbow though when it takes a notion

Latest posts