Outside Jacuzzi Supply

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Essex1

No Longer Here
Reaction score
Hi you sexy bunch,

Right, doing a supply for one of these as a favour so just want to ensure I am covering all the bases as not my normal type of work.

It needs a 16A supply.  Assuming it is a PME (Not seen it yet so assuming worst case).  SWA to rotary isolator.  The jacuzzi is to be treated as a swimming pool as in Section 702.  If the isolator is within 2M of the jacuzzi edge then it should be within a class 2 enclosure (702.55.4).  The supply must be RCD protected and if a PME requires an earth electrode if the switch is within 2M (702.410.3.4.3).  Am I correct in reading that if the switch is further than 2M then the earth electrode bonding is not required?  Assuming the main water bonding is satisfactory?

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely not a bath - 702.11

Sorry I should expand.  Even if a bath is installed outside and has a jacuzzi as a part of it it should still be treated as a swimming pool as in the above regulation.

Unless things have changed with amd3 then the earth electrode is only a recommendation for any PME fed swimming pool installation. 

The recommendation is that an earth electrode of Ra<20ohm be installed and connected to the main equipotential bonding of the installation, ie connect it back to the MET.

quite simple really :)

Unless things have changed with amd3 then the earth electrode is only a recommendation for any PME fed swimming pool installation. 

The recommendation is that an earth electrode of Ra<20ohm be installed and connected to the main equipotential bonding of the installation, ie connect it back to the MET.

quite simple really :)

Yes.  But as I read it only if you have equipment within Zone 2?  If there is no equipment within that zone then am I correct in saying no earth rod required?

Yes.  But as I read it only if you have equipment within Zone 2?  If there is no equipment within that zone then am I correct in saying no earth rod required?

I don't have the yellow book to hand and haven't looked at the swimming pools section to see if anything has changed form the green. But under the green book it was not a requirement at any time only a recommendation that it be done with no mention of anything to do with zones.

Latest posts