Oven and hob and RDC

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mistymoo

Reaction score
Hi, I've been asked to fit a replacement oven with separate hob. The old oven and hob are electrically attached to each other and then wired in to the cable that comes out of the cooker switch on the tiles above the work top (no cooker point behind oven).

The CU is an old one and there are no RDCs on it. The owner is keen not to rewire. So I thought I'd fit RCD protected sockets or fused spurs.

This will be ok for the hob (the new hob plugs in seperately, normal 13 amp plug) but what about the cooker? I like to know if any of you have come accross this before and what you did please. Does such a thing exist as an RCD protected cooker switch?

thanks.

You are not installing any new circuit, just hard wiring a like for like replacement.

I would wire it as it is and give a minor works certificate with a note that the wiring is not rcd protected etc and any other concerns you may have.

As long as the r1+r2 and the Zs and insulation tests are ok its about all you can do.

Latest posts