Over 3m Meter tails

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonathonward123

Reaction score
Hi, a customer wants me to move her existing consumer unit 12m away to a new location. This is a refurb property so running tails is not an issue...

what I am struggling to decide upon is the best way to do this. I know it is not best practice to use a rcd in meter box, so do I run 16mm swa in wall cavity on a 80amp switch fuse, or can I run meter tails in 32mm conduit??

i have looked into this on forums but no one has actually said in black and white which is the best/ easiest way to run the cable??

Any advice would be appreciated..

cheers

Yes as Murdo says , I'd go with SWA outside  OR   run meter tails in surface trunking into ceiling  space  or into floor space .

Unless it is a TT supply ,  an upfront RCD could be a right nuisance IMHO .   

If you used conduit it would have to be earthed steel conduit unless it was more than 50mm deep ...who wants to start messing with steel conduit through a house ? 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I agree with not wanting to mess around with metal conduit.

Its got concrete floors, so up the wall and into the roof space is only option really. However, there is no loft so will be going through roof joists.

i don't think the customer would want the swa on the outside of the property either as she is trying to keep it 'old style'.

So am I right in thinking swa is allowed up the wall, behind the stud work, and then through the roof joists dropping back down behind more stud work to new consumer unit, being run from a 80amp switch fuse? 

Cheers for comments so far guys.

If there is no loft I don't think getting a  16mm  X 3c SWA  through a load of roof joists is a good idea TBH   .   Strictly speaking 16mm SWA needs to be clipped direct unless you drop the fuse to a 60A .

From what you are saying I can only see the following  options :-

1.     SWA Cable surface outside .

2.    SWA Cable surface inside .

3.    Meter tails in trunking ,inside, surface. 

4. Leave the board where it is .  

No, I didn't look in the distributors cut out, and the customer is hoping to get her meter moved from inside house to outside anyway. 

I wouldn't worry about your cable route too much until the customer has the price to move the incomer....... they may be put off and if its a 60A then you can't really extend the tails IMHO.

Me thinks you need a bit more information.

What's the actual load though? If there is gas fired heating and no electric showers then I wouldn't expect a 60A supply to be an issue. I've wired huge 6 bedroom houses and I am quite confident I could stick a 32A fuse on the incomer and it would be fine.