Over stuffed board

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

binky

retired and loving it!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, I was inspecting a church hall the other day, and found the mains board is very stuffed with cables. Single phase, 20 way BG plastic unit designed for single pole MCBs, but fitted with for RCBOS on every cct. The result is cables jammed into the gap above the RCBOs - apologies I didn't take a picture. Now, I've been pondering whether or not this constitutes a fire risk from overheating cables - there's some quite large loads on this board like 9Kw water heaters in the toilets, large dishwasher, electric ovens, hand driers etc etc. (Cooker is gas). Not likely to be used for long periods of time at the same time, but.....  Apart from potential overheating, the fact that it almost impossible to work on this board without dismantling virtually all of it, is also, in my opinion, not compliant with good installation practices as it prevents cable access for inspection and testing or adding  a cct at some later date - not sure if that contravenes BS7671 or not?

Should this board be changed for one suitable for RCBOs? Your opinions please.

only about 2 years old, I am assuming just before metal boards came in to play.

It's a right PITA - you shouldn't have to take RCBOs to access cables to test!

It sounds like a standard MCB board with RCBOs  shoved in ...theres never going to be enough room  really .  

I'd go with a C3     and a serious chat with the vicar / priest/ rector/ rabbi /warden  etc .  

Second thoughts , tell them its an abomination in the sight of the Lord.  

Section 2 of the 17th editon Regs................Abominations in the sight of ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Second thoughts , tell them its an abomination in the sight of the Lord.  
do I count as 'the Lord'  :slap

Fortunately the church warden that organises works agrees with me that it should be changed - he's not keen on packing cables too tightly either, having some electrical knowledge from his own work.

Oops!! Should have put some words in.

Option 1  -  Fit a new Board with Compact RCBOs, eliminating  "God knows" how many neutral / earth flying leads, as well as creating far more room for circuit conductors.

Option 2  -  Remove everything from the DIN rail of the existing box and fit a Compact RCBO / Main Switch / Busbar assembly. The resulting CU may not be certified to EN61439-3, but would probably comply, as per 421.1.201. In any event, it would probably satisfy 133.1.3.

Certified or not ..it would be a far better job .

Question for  SBS Dave :-      How do you get a neutral to the bottom of the DP compact RCBOs  .  Is there a split rail busbar  or what ........I can see two fingers under the main switch  but only one further along .? 

Thanks Dave  ....BTW  I'm not Nick Evans ,  thats Noz ,  I'm Deke .  

Any chance of a price list  Dave ?     I can PM email address. 

Using that board would give you much more room without all the linking jumper leads for a start ...AND  all the  L & Ns are heading in the same direction  with just the earths turning upwards .  

OOPS!!!, Sorry about that, Deke. Nick is a regular customer, so I must have had a senior moment.

The Price List is on my website,   www.sbstradesales.co.uk , or if you email me on [email protected]. I will send you a copy. Email is better for me, as I don't visit the Forum on a regular basis.

INCIDENTALLY, FOR THOSE INTERESTED IN EV CHARGING STATIONS, I will shortly be stocking 16A and 32A  versions of my Compacts with A-type RCD characteristics. If anybody sees a market for any other sizes, please let me know.

SBS Dave

For those members involved in EV Charging Stations and those considering Double-Decker DBs, the attachment may be of interest to you.

SBS Trade Sales Update #3.jpg

Latest posts