Panel usage during power cut.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nige

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 2kwh solar installation(small roof) with MC4 connectors into a Solis inverter.

I understand that in the event of a grid power cut, the inverter will not function.

So, is there a way to unplug the solar cables from the inverter and then connect them to a power bank/battery set so the solar panels can charge the batteries/power bank.

Are there adapters which can be used if the power bank/battery charger does not have MC4 connectivity?

Thanks

Nige

The inverter should still charge the batteries, most decent inverters also have an emergency power output, this output remains live in the event of a power cut, many people have it wired to an emergency socket where essential items can be powered during the outage eg TV, Central Heating, Freezer etc.

solis back.PNG

Red arrow Emergency Output Power when the grid is off, Blue arrow, normal grid I/O.

Last edited:
The inverter should still charge the batteries, most decent inverters also have an emergency power output, this output remains live in the event of a power cut, many people have it wired to an emergency socket where essential items can be powered during the outage eg TV, Central Heating, Freezer etc.

View attachment 16205

Red arrow Emergency Output Power when the grid is off, Blue arrow, normal grid I/O.

Thanks for the information and the picture is very useful.

Unfortunately I have a bog standard PV inverter from Solis. S6-GR1P-M. There does not look to be any back up connectivity or battery outputs.

So would need to bypass the inverter completely and plug the panels in directly or buy a better inverter.

1697622095293.png

Would I be right in saying that this could be accomplished only by a tesla gateway/battery arrangement?

Much cheaper to replace the inverter and as option add a battery. Tesla is ££££££££
I believe they are talking about charging the battery or providing electricity during a power cut. What I am asking is: is the only setup that will do this a tesla gateway?

I believe they are talking about charging the battery or providing electricity during a power cut. What I am asking is: is the only setup that will do this a tesla gateway?
No, not a Tesla Gateway, I would suggest one of the many Victron MPPT charge controllers chosen to suit the number of panels and the size of battery.

Not to disagree with John who knows far more than me:
AFAIK a Solar inverter shouldn't work in the event of a power cut, as it needs a mains reference to work.
And to prevent the possibility of mains voltage being exported to the grid while engineers are working on the fault !
Rather than trying to charge the batteries during an outage, the batteries are normally used to power parts of the house such a refrigerators.
This requires a Hybrid Inverter with an EPS Emergency Power Supply output.

Unless it is a tesla gateway which does operate the whole house in the event of a power cut

Unless it is a tesla gateway which does operate the whole house in the event of a power cut
and goes flat quickly :D .

You can't power up the house unless you isolate from the grid supply, it's dangerous for DNO workers otherwise, that's why solar inverters are labelled 'grid tied' and must conform to G98 or G99 standards.

Hi, Nige are you on-grid or off-grid ?

The Givenergy AIO system is sold as being an automatic switchover system if that's what you're looking for
e.g. https://midsummerwholesale.co.uk/buy/giv-energy/giv-aio-gateway-bundle

not cheap though and with 2kWp of PV I suspect you might struggle to charge the AIO batteries fully from solar anyway even in summertime, you could of course charge it up from overnight E7 elec.

It might be worth considering just charging your powerbank up (if you have one) from overnight cheap rate elec ?

Or perhaps a small generator might be worth looking into for charging a powerbank?

Gentleman, youre getting way ahead of yourselves here, the OP asked about using the panels to charge a battery. I initially read it as keeping an inverter running during a power outage but as Myaargh said thats not what was asked.
A Victron MPPT charger would take power from panels and charge batteries, thats the first stage and a full answer to the OP's question.
If a more permanent solution is required, change the inverter to a Hybrid inverter and stick some batteries on it, wire the emergency output up and the system will work, forget Tesla Gateways unless you have money to burn (and a lot of it).
Generators and changeover switches, yep all possibilities but not what the OP requested.

Latest posts