Part P Assessment Tomorrow

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This prompts me to mount one of my favourite hobby horses .

How come small builders remain under the radar of any kind of registration or licensing scheme .  Many are very good , know what they are doing & don't rip customers off for thousands of £££££s  before riding off into the sunset .....................  but what is there to give the customer confidence in their ability ....in the manner of Gas Safe  , NICEIC, ELECSA, NAPPITT , ECA ?

what is there to give the customer confidence in their ability ....in the manner of Gas Safe  , NICEIC, ELECSA, NAPPITT , ECA ?
LOL! Most people haven't heard of any of these things and none of them stop anyone from ripping anyone off.

I take that point Lurch , but most people have heard of Gas Safe  even more knew about Gorgi .  The point was hammered home to always use a registered gas fitter.

I agree with the electrical side ......some, not many, have heard of NICEIC  , all the others mean diddly squat.

The only thing that is making an effect is getting the electrics certified as part of getting your building work signed off. 

This country is always the same with these things , such as rental properties ,  must have a gas cert , must have smoke detectors .... but don't bother with the electrics .  

Last edited by a moderator:
I take that point Lurch , but most people have heard of Gas Safe  even more knew about Gorgi .  The point was hammered home to always use a registered gas fitter.
I think the HSE ballsed up by putting the scheme out to tender and changing the name. After spending years making sure the public use CORGI registered fitters they then try and rebrand everything with a different scheme. Madness, and easy to take advantage of the confusion, CORGI now just spam homeowners with extended warranties for boilers in the hope that people will be tricked into thinking they need CORGI for something. CORGI should have been disbanded when the scheme provider changed.

I agree with the electrical side ......some, not many, have heard of NICEIC , all the others mean diddly squat.
No-one knows what is going on, the councils all accept different variations of any old cert to nothing at all, homeowners have no idea of part p or any scheme providers. It's more of a PITA to all involved than anything. If anyone does ever ask for any sort of certificate most do not know why, and most of them aren't worth the paper they are written on anyway.

The only thing that is making an effect is getting the electrics certified as part of getting your building work signed off.
As above though, this varies between boroughs. Part p has been here for 10 years, and it still doesn't work and no-one knows how it works. I could understand if the homeowners were confused but scheme providers and local councils don't have much more of a grasp of what is going on either.

This country is always the same with these things , such as rental properties ,  must have a gas cert , must have smoke detectors .... but don't bother with the electrics .
The way the electrical industry is at the moment, I wouldn't want to see the rental properties suddenly require certs for properties as a law as the part p thing is already a complete shambles which means there are more cowboys now than there were before part p.

Latest posts