Part P Vs Approved

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Sparks

Reaction score
Hey chaps, Merry Xmas to all,

I had a question regarding the two main types of registration under NICEIC,

I wanted to know in laymans terms, whats the differences between approved and just part p?

For instance, what can approved contractor do that a part p sparks cant?

An example, if i have the option to work on a large domestic, that has a three phase board and i was currently in the part p scheme, could i leggaly or under part p install, cert and notify?

Cheers,

Lee.

You can & depending on your competency you can undertake commercial & industrial works.

Being an approved contractor means you are assessed each year on any work com/ind/dom & the insurance companies like the "approved" companies to do com/ind work & as I've recently found out on thatched buildings (they got a strip torn off them)

Right now as a competent electrician you can carry out all dom/com/ind work, however you have to pre devise the LABC of any Part P work prior to doing it and pay their fee.

If you join a Part P scheme you pay the scheme an annual fee and then an individual (small) fee for every notifyable job, you cannot however use your Part P registration for any jobs that are outside of the remit of the scheme - eg PIRs under the NICEIC Dom inst - you can however do PIRs on non NICEIC headed certs

If you however join the NICEIC as an approved contractor then you can do most Dom/com/Ind,,, I think there are still certain exclusions eg. Petrol forecourts etc..

TBH you have to look at where your work is going to come from and if your potential Ind/com work might insist on ACs or whether they'll allow DIs

Contrary to the above posts there is a big difference in the two schemes. Register under Part P and your assessment will be based on basic knowledge. Register under AC and your knowledge base will be far more involved.

I always take the veiw if you have to ask then your really not ready. That is however a personal view and does not reflect the view of this forum.

Before becoming an AC I was a DI so I have seen it from both sides.

For a DI assessment you have to show 2 jobs, a major and a minor. You will have to show safe isolation and they will go through every test. You will need to have the latest BS7671 and they like you to have an onsite guide aswell as the GS38 guidance, Electricity at work guidance, a complaints procedure, a H&S policy and something to prove your meters continued calibration accuracy. During the assessment they will also ask a few questions on the regs....IIRC my assessments took about 2 hours

My AC assessor wants to see 3 or 4 jobs; 2 of which must be major jobs and they also like to see different installation and containment methods. The jobs can all be domestic, they do not have to be commercial or industrial - just like some ACs will only be able to show industrial and no domestic. They expect you to have all the latest BS books for the work that you do,, 7671, fire alarm, emergency lighting etc.... As well as the ones mentioned above that DIs need. During the assessment they will again go through every test and ask you questions as you go...possibly more than DIs but tbh it doesn't feel that bad to me.. My assessor did once mention that my cable clipping could have been a bit neater (in a garage that was rammed with new kitchen cabinets - Howden's - never mind that it was difficult enough to just get the clips in :| )

HTH

Hey chaps, Merry Xmas to all,

I had a question regarding the two main types of registration under NICEIC,

I wanted to know in laymans terms, whats the differences between approved and just part p?

For instance, what can approved contractor do that a part p sparks cant?

An example, if i have the option to work on a large domestic, that has a three phase board and i was currently in the part p scheme, could i leggaly or under part p install, cert and notify?

Cheers,

Lee.
The NICEIC website has explanations of the various schemes. http://www.niceic.com/join-us/schemes-overview which I don't think are too tricky to understand.  To answer your example question. Part-P is a building regulation relating to electrical installations in a domestic dwellings, including domestic dwellings above commercial premises (e.g. flats above shops). Part-P makes no reference to the supply characteristics. A domestic installer EIC, just the same as the model form EIC in BS7671 includes tick boxes for; 1-phase(2wire), 1-Phase(3wire), 3-phase(3wire), 3-Phase(4wire), Other. The number of phases bares no relevance on if something is part-p notifiable or not. It is the type of building that you are installing into not the type of installation. Legally you can do any work your client is willing to pay you for and if you want to be financially protected, what you have sufficient funds or insurance to cover your back if you make a major botch-up. Membership of NIC or any other body is an optional choice that you can take or leave based upon your personal business model and your own risk assessment of how you can protect yourself and your dependents.

Doc H.

I think you need to be a QS for a year before you can apply for AC with NICEIC.

Thanks all the information.

I know im not ready to join the AC scheme, also dont plan to if i dont feel i need to in the future. (depends on the work)

I plan to join the domestic installer scheme, i have my assessment next Wednesday.

The main reason of asking the difference, was that one of the guys i was working with said as a part p sparks you cant touch or cert 3 phase installations, i thought he was talking out his back side.But thought i would clarify here.

Thanks guys.

Lee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts