PAT Testing

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulSC

Reaction score
Evening all,

No such thing as a daft question, but here goes anyway.

I've been approached by an Estate Agent who are planning on setting up a lettings department. They want me to cover the electrical maintenance side (which is great during these tough times), but will also require PAT testing. This is something I've never covered as all my work is basic domestic stuff. So ...

Is there a qualification needed to perform the tests?

If not, what kit would you chaps recommend, bearing in mind budget would be tight and the testing volume would be pretty small. I don't think I'd need to download results, or have any fancy printing facilities though I'm open to any suggestions and advice from those far more learned than me.

Have I missed anything in my excitement of a bit of work at last?

Paul

I've not done PAt testing for years, but I'm fairly sure there is a 1 day City and Guilds course you can do. Possibly called the 2377.

I'm sure many more people will give you more info. Good Luck

To give you an overview of whats what....

best to get a copy of these two books....

PAT: Portable Appliance Testing: In-Service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment: Amazon.co.uk: Brian Scaddan IEng; MIIE (elec): Books

Code of Practice for In-service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment: Amazon.co.uk: Iee: Books

Then you can decide if you want to do 2377.

You can do all of the testing needed for the average domestic appliances with a good quality Multi Function Test meter..

A dedicate PAT meter is not essentail....

But if you are going to be doing a lot of PAT, a dedicated meter will save you time with your testing.

That Brian Scaddan books explains it all very well indeed.

Guinness

Ive recently done my pat testing through www.patttesters.co.uk you can get a home study dvd which you do the exam over the internet. Its endorsed by napit. They also do the code of practice book and also a book called pass handbook of portable appliance testing which I found very good. They do packages if you want to buy together. It all depends on how much you want to spend to get started.

I personally have found it hard for a sparks to warrant the start up and outgoings cost of PAT testing, when you take into account the paperwork, test meter/microwave leakage tester/calibration, course fees etc etc

i price the PAT testing i do @

Dave,

I like the IEC lead sale bit mate.

BTW do you get them from CPC or elsewhere?

I have a client who is pushing me to do their PAT, but they want it thought about and have what needs doing done and the rest left, not a do it all every year attitude.