PAT

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graeme82

Reaction score
Hi I have been given the thankless task to PAT for my employer, they sent me on the city and guilds course and have purchased the metrel betapat +, and of course they have they simplypats software.

I prob should have mention i work for a builder so lots of different power tools IT 110v stuff

I was wondering if I could ask and hopefully recieve some answers to a few questions I have, hear goes.

1. in the auto test sequence it gives squences with and without leakage, what instances would i not carry out the leakage test, apart from the obvious failing of insulation test?

2. i tested some 240-110 transformers two of them tripped the tester during the leakage test could anyone shed any light on why?

3. i have read on some forums ref lap top power cables, they said these should be tested as IT I cant see why as the IT test below 200ma (metrel set to 100ma) is to preserve electronic internals, im sure these are not present in an ac adaptor or are they.

4. The metrel auto test sequence for IT equipment has 4 tests, the first 3 are for short mid and long power cords with insulation at 500v the fourth is for a long cord only with an insulation of 250v could anyone explain why this is and when maybe the 250 v with long cord would be used.

5. would extension cables be classed as portable equipment and if an extension is fitted with an rcd plug would it be tested as normal class 1 and rcd test funtion used to make sure it works, or can i use the rcd test on the betapat + to test it or is that for stand alone rcd's only

I know thats alot I would appreciate any help anyone can give me,

Regards

Graeme

Hi Graeme and welcome to the forum. The questions you have raised are typical of short course entrants with little previous knowledge and is in no way a fault of yourself, or others who have done the course. The main problems we witness on a day to day basis is the fact that the pass rate is more beneficial to the training companies than actual training and understanding of the entrants needs. It is relatively easy to guide a person to pass an exam with little relevance to the expected requirements, a little like the driving test, easy to pass, but never the less does not make you a competent or experienced driver.

I am not familiar with any of the Metral testing equipment so could not help you with that, but what I do know is that you should never test anything unless you are sure of its classification. Read your notes, and always access each item as a faulty unit until you prove otherwise.

Hello Graeme...

looks like you picked the short straw then.. if you are officially captain PAT for your company...

anyway..

if you haven't got them, these books will answer a lot of your questions...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Practice-In-service-Inspection-Electrical-Equipment/dp/0863418333/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1335396028&sr=8-3

PAT: Portable Appliance Testing: In-Service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment: Amazon.co.uk: Brian Scaddan IEng; MIIE (elec): Books

welcome to the nut house!!!

Guinness

Guinness