pet for 2 1/2 yr young

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK,

finally,,,,,,

we have some new members of the family,

Buttons and Bob,

so, I need a crash course in how to look after them,

do I need to use sawdust/shavings on the floor ala the shop said or not?

how much fresh veg should I feed them daily? [along with their pellets]

2012-12-24 23.47.46.jpg

2012-12-24 23.47.56.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
When we got a pet rat we were told to avoid sawdust because it encourages chest problems. We've always used newspaper ripped up into strips. Not sure about the food, what animals are they exactly?  

Guinea pigs,

or, as the little one keeps calling them,  'hamster pigs'  :slap

and by jaysus do they dump, never seen anything so small go to the toilet so much!  :eek:

Steps - read through the thread it is mostly all here.

Shavings are fine.

Feed a pellet that all look the same. If it looks like muesli they will sort it and not get a balanced diet.

Free access to water

Bit of hay as bedding gives cover and they also eat it.

Just give a mix of veg and they will chew away. Carrots are ok occasionally but do have a lot of sugar in them. You can even pick grass or dandelions from the garden.

Cheers Apache, yes, have read back and all seems good,

Is it possible to overfeed them on veg? The missus would be putting all the left overs in with them if I let her.

throw a bit of lettuce in and nothing happens,

turn round 10 seconds later and its gone!!!!!  :eek:

they have been out a bit, probably still a bit nervous I'd say.

Our 3 children had hamster pigs for years.  We used to supply the local 'Pets at Home' with them.  I think the most we had at any one time was about 34

Also had rabbits, hamsters, rats etc

Brother in Law had baby crocs or aligators, a goose, a pet Fox, a Blue Mongolian Grass monkey [evil little bar steward], snakes, tortoises etc

We still have 4 Jack Russells and one Horse

Found out years ago it was better to dig the garden with a spade and NOT a fork...never knew what would come up on the end of it!

It was like Fred Wests back garden