Phase rotation meter ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They use DC for the inter country links to reduce polarisation losses, if you reverse the cable polarity then you have to re-polarise the capacitance every half cycle, this uses energy and is thus a loss.

With DC long distance HV transmission the lines are polarised once and that's it.

AC is used for the UK grid so that it can be transformed up and down to minimise the AC losses, and due to the way that it is distributed a lot, i.e. overhead singles with air as the insulator there is little in the way of polarisation losses.

You do get polarisation losses in underground cables, and that is a cost that has to be borne.

The $64,000 question is. Do you ever use it?
My MFT has phase rotation and I also have a separate phase rotation meter.

It's normally the installation guys on CNC machinery that get hung up about it, especially the cheap ones, because they don't fit hose rotation detection to them, so it has to be right, or it screws them up.

The better drives either don't care, or they tell you that it's wrong.

With AC permag servo's it doesn't really matter as they take the 3ph and make DC out of it to chop it up again as a PWM waveform, and the motor rotation is dependent upon which order they fire the output stages anyway, so that's down to the drive control.

you dont usually have anywhere to attach the croc clips. mine (martindale) came with 1x croc clip & 2x probes (no idea why), that soon got changed to 3x probes

you dont usually have anywhere to attach the croc clips. mine (martindale) came with 1x croc clip & 2x probes (no idea why), that soon got changed to 3x probes
i was thinking  more down the lines of......could be handy to clip to a motor ( before connecting) to check rotation 

Even though you've proved rotation, I'd still always try an run the actual motor to be connected without a load attached. Someone could've messed up at the factory or rewind shop. It does happen. 

Even though you've proved rotation, I'd still always try an run the actual motor to be connected without a load attached. Someone could've messed up at the factory or rewind shop. It does happen. 
Yeah it has been done!

If the load won’t suffer any damage and there’s two of us then a quick contactor dab with a driver and a cable tie up it's fan is normally enough!

The non contact phase rotation tester which you sit on the motor & connect to the phases should give you the correct phasing though.