Photocell override switch

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilman

Reaction score
I need to override a photocell as and when required - presume I need a three position switch: terminal 1 to photocell/terminal 2 lights on/terminal 3 empty (lights off). Can't find a 3 postion switch to suit a domestic situation - only retractive switches? Anyone got any idea what I'm after?

Last edited by a moderator:
just to bypass photocell, you need a switch in-line with it.

you can also use a normal 2 way switch to provide 'auto' and 'on'

a 2g2w switch could provide 'auto / on' and 'on/off'

failing that, you can get rotary type switches with 3 positions

MK do a three position switch i have one that was brought by mistake as i wanted a retractive one and was sold this instead part no. is K4899 WHI they are 20 amp and grid though.

Very simple, and no special switches needed.

Take 1 normal 2 way 1 gang light switch. This will have 3 terminals, normally, Com, L1 & L2.

Connect your feed to the light to the com,

Perm Live to L1,

Sw Live from Photocell to L2.

When switch is in off position, Light will be fed from photocell.

Switch the switch on, and it is fed from live feed, and light will come on.

Great for testing for blown lamps during the day.

Hope this helps.

Rob.

MK do a three position switch i have one that was brought by mistake as i wanted a retractive one and was sold this instead part no. is K4899 WHI they are 20 amp and grid though.
That's exactly what I was thinking of - good work Batty. Thanks to everyone else as well.

Testing is simple just stick you shoe over the photocell works every time haha

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 21:54 ---------- Previous post was made at 21:48 ----------

With the option of dc will u be able to turn the lights off Atal in the dark?

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 23:35 ---------- Previous post was made at 21:54 ----------

I don't think u can can u lol? So there for will not over ride the photocell because u can't turn it off at night only on in the day??

Latest posts