PIR Sensor for internal lights

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moggy19

Reaction score
I am brand new to this forum but have a question, is it possible to fit a PIR to an existing light fitting, its for a Church hall and the existing switch powers the square office type lights(some are strip lights) and also the extractor fan. The idea being saving money as people have a tendency to leave it on even when the building is unoccupied. I can post pics if that makes it any easier to understand what I have attempted to describe.

It is possible but fluorescent fittings don't like to be on off on off so need time set high enough as not to make the tubes fail. Changing for LED panels and PIR/microwave sensors would be worth while but more costly initially

Remember a PIR takes a constant small load 24/7. Know of someone who fitted a PIR in his bathroom as family were leaving the light on. Turned out it used more electricity than a light left on occasionally.

Remember a PIR takes a constant small load 24/7. Know of someone who fitted a PIR in his bathroom as family were leaving the light on. Turned out it used more electricity than a light left on occasionally.
It is worth checking the 'vampire amps ' as they like to call standby power these days.

I can't speak for a PIR, but I did find that a "Remote (App/voice) controlled plug in switched socket" was using more current in standby than the appliance it was switching on/off

Latest posts