Plastic Water Pipes

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tamdee

Reaction score
Is it really neccessary to bond a water pipe that enters the property in plastic.I have been doing this for years to first copper after the stopcock, but I am beginning to wonder is there any use.

Bond to all incoming services but does it count as a service that cant conduct. I have read a few comments about bonding at boiler etc,but this would seem to me to be an internal solution.As everyone knows the amount of heating pipes and radiators on show in a house yet you dont have a earth bond to them.

Most of the houses with plastic incoming pipes are more likely to have copper / plastic/copper/plastic all throughout the house.

Thanks for any comments and help in advance.

if its all plastic then great, but if the rest of the instilation is copper then i think u have to bond

Thanks Tom but I am really puzzled to why it has to be done, surely the reason for the bond is to make all services the same potential.My opinion would be that if it was plastic incoming then you would catch ten times more exposed pipes running a bond to a heating pipe.

i should add if its incoming in plastic but the rest is metal you can get away with not bonding if u can confirme that no earth is potential induced

There was, many moons ago, a thread on this, which devolved into such things as the conductivity of the water within the pipes. As I recall, it had one of spec`s famous "experiments" on it....... Do you remember?????? (`pache?)

if its under 22K, bond it. just because its plastic feed doesnt mean the intermal pipework cant introduce a potential (it may be lying in contact with earth under a floor etc)

how wierd, i toowas going to ask this question today. i was under the impression it didnt need bonding if incoming supply was plastic. i look forward to the views of everyone else

wayne

Thanks Andy,but would you say thats incoming services potential.

More chances of a heating pipe coming into contact with earth under floorboards and not a requirement to main bond them.Im sure it was when

there was a chance of underground metal incomer having a better earth that your supplier gives you hence the incoming services bit.

Even if the pipe did touch ground whats the difference between the incoming cold and the hot touching the same ground or being broken from the main stopcock with plastic before the ground touching bit.This is not a rare occurrence Andy I have to fit MEB probably about 15-20 times per week and you will probably know how difficult water can be to access with new kitchens and laminate flooring now.I appreciate all the comments and will take them all on board.