pls comment on my site survey report

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ecservices

Reaction score
I been instructed by one contact to quote for fire alarm system on some properties and this is my 1st report

I can do with any comment or advice befor i submit the report to my contact

pls ignor my spelling and grammer

Building Structure

The above property is UN detached Block of Flats consists of 4 Floors

Ground Floor

This consists of:

Retail Unit on main road

Side entrance door from the back of the building leads to stairs lobby via small corridor to floors above retail unit

1St Floor

This consists of stairs landing and entrance to Flat

Stair case leading to second floor

2nd Floor

Stair case leading to third floor

3rd Floor

The Flat split into 2 levels with internal stairs.

Stair case from 2nd Floor ends at this Level

System Design

The appropriate Fire Alarm System will be Conventional using L4 Category.

Twin wire Fire Alarm Panel 2 Zones which will cover all the stair case from Ground floor to Third Floor

Zone 1 Ground and First Floors

Zone 2 Second and Third Floors

Optional

Class Change Link to retail unit (see note 10)

Location of Fire Alarm Devices

Fire Alarm Panel

I would agree with 4 zone, but my personal choice would be an addressable system, the fire brigade love them as all points are targeted and easy to find on alarm.,and uses less cable.

I would also put manual call points on all floors, subject to on site risk assesment of course.

You will need to provide visual alarm as well as audio, because of the regulations as to use of building and discrimination (deaf users or occupiers).

Not just top flat; I`d put a HEAT / sounder in EACH property that opens onto the escape route.

You specified L4; but not the grade; which sounds like a C ?

Would have expected that you`d need an LC3 or 2 system, to comply with RRO; though confirm that with local fire officer.......

HTH

KME

Got to agree with comment about an addressable panel as reading spec you need more than 4 zones.

Zones

1. retail unit ground floor link from thier panel

2.callpoints and detectors in stairwell.

3. level 2 landing.

4. level 3 landing

5. proposed internal staircase 3 floor flat

Sounders have to be on two zones ,also cable should be segregated from mains so trunking will have to be compartmental or Fire tuf inside conduit containment better than trunking.

Who is putting there name on the design of the system is there a consultant or architect involved, if so follow thier specification.

cable runs and readings required Zonal diagram.

Sounder reading db inside the flats required as stated strobes may be required.

Welcome to the minefeild.Not even going into the protection type L1,L2,L3,L4 who is specifiying what type of installation.

I would agree with 4 zone, but my personal choice would be an addressable system, the fire brigade love them as all points are targeted and easy to find on alarm.
Yeah we sure like it easy instead of walking around looking for smashed break glasses and trying to find lights activated on the alarm :)

This is a bit late, but i haven't been on for a while.

In addition to the other comments,

A Manuel call point is needed on each level and at all external doors to free space.

Don't use an unswitched spur. You have to use a key switch & fuse to enable double pole isolation. This has to be labeled 'Fire alarm, Do Not switch off' and preferably red in colour

You really need to speak to the LABC or relevant department to find out exactly what type and extent of system they require. Fitting detection inside the dwellings may be against their rules (even though it may be better)

Cables can not be run inside 240v wiring compartment.

The cables have to be installed with fire proof fiixings. I have seen many inside pvc trunking which is not correct unless additionally fixed with p clips.

I note you are a NICEIC approved contractor as we are. We had to be additionally registered and checked for fitting fire alarms with them